Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I'm just wondering what is involved in converting from the old cast iron glide to a newer 63' aluminum one. some things i'm not sure about are: starter mounting plate, side brackets, linkage that goes to the carb, and crossmember choices?

thanks for all your help-it's for a 56 station wagon if that helps

·
Administrator
67,992 Posts
There is a kit that allows the newer p/g to mount into the stock position without installing a cross member. There are two types of auto`s, cannot remember the length but you need the shorter one of the two to use your tail shaft, the linkages need to be altered to suit and i think the 63 will need a vacum line for the governor, good luck?

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
Actually on a Powerglide, unlike a TH350 or TH400, you need the long version (28"), which is the same length as the stock transmission. The "short" aluminum Powerglides are 25", and were used in 62-64 big cars. "Long" TH350s are about 31".

For the trouble you are going to, you might as well put a TH350 in the car, it's virtually the same installation.

If you go with an aluminum Powerglide, you MUST get the TV linkage and adjust it properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok fellas
thanks for all your help.
I am converting to a powerglide because i have one already and because i like the durability. the one i have is 28" ish. are you sure i don't need to shorten my driveshaft? and do i need to install a crossmember or can i just use the side mount kit?
and finally where do i get this kit?

i appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
You will have to change the driveshaft yoke from 10 spline to 27 spline but the driveshaft and u-joints remain the same.

If you have a stock 265, you can't use a side mount kit for the engine. If you have a 58 up block, you can. If you use a side mount kit, go with a crossmember too.

Your only real choice with a stock engine is a mounting kit that bolts to the original frame brackets for the bellhousing mounts, along with the stock front engine mounts. You will also need a starter mounting plate to use the starter you now have. It's one of those "also bought" things with the mounting kit. Most 55-57 parts suppliers should have the mounting kit and the starter plate. CCI's website is a good place to look at what you're buying, even if you purchase it elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help.

to recap: i have a stock 265 so i need a crossmember, i don't need to shorten the driveshaft, i do need a new yoke, i need to make sure the tv cable is adjusted properly and i'm asuming i need a new flexplate?

thanks Rick.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
"i have a stock 265 so i need a crossmember"

No, you need a mount kit that does the same thing that the stock rear mounts did, and bolts to the same frame brackets.

"i need to make sure the tv cable is adjusted properly"

The Powerglide uses linkage not a cable. There is a lever on the driver side in front of the shifter lever that the linkage connects to. The other end of the linkage connects to the carb. There is a bellcrank in between. You'll have to figure out how to mount it. The cast iron glide has a similar linkage. I don't know how much of it you could use, probably some. Just like a TV cable on a later transmission or on a cast iron Powerglide, if you don't connect it and adjust it, the transmission will burn up pretty quickly.

The thing you missed was the starter mounting plate. That is needed on a 265.

One more thing, I think a 63 Powerglide is the short one (25") if it came from a full size car. Your driveshaft will be too short. If it came from a Nova, it may be the right length, but there is no provision for a cooler and it's a light duty unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok i've got all my pieces to do the swap except for the new yoke. is the yoke i need the same as a th350 27spline? and can i use my stock flexplate?

thanks

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
Yes that's the correct yoke. Muncie 4 speed is the same also.

You need a Powerglide or TH350 flex plate too. They have them at the auto supply fairly reasonably, or check Summit/Jeg's. Pioneer is a common brand name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts