Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to run one wire to the horn relay , disconnect wires to voltage regulator and change to voltmeter instead of ammeter. The new volt meter just has a ground and " I " terminal to connect to a switched hot wire on the ignition . My question is what to do with the four wires on the ammeter ? There is the large black wire running to the solenoid with a small red wire to the cigar lighter , and on the other side of the ammeter there is a large red wire running to the bat. on the horn relay and a small black wire feeding the headlight switch . It seems like all four of these wires should be connected to continue the current to the proper places , correct ?

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Planning to run one wire to the horn relay , disconnect wires to voltage regulator and change to voltmeter instead of ammeter. The new volt meter just has a ground and " I " terminal to connect to a switched hot wire on the ignition . My question is what to do with the four wires on the ammeter ? There is the large black wire running to the solenoid with a small red wire to the cigar lighter , and on the other side of the ammeter there is a large red wire running to the bat. on the horn relay and a small black wire feeding the headlight switch . It seems like all four of these wires should be connected to continue the current to the proper places , correct ?
why not just leave the ammeter as is??

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,952 Posts
I think the ammeter only goes to 40 amps and a 100 amp alternator might blow the ammeter resistor.
There is a company that can convert your original ammeter to a voltmeter. I can find out the name if interested.
Yes, you need to connect the wires on the neg and pos terminals of the ammeter together and insulate well.
Remove the red wire from the horn relay that goes to the generator. Leave the red wire on the horn relay from the junction fuse box. Remove both wires from the generator to regulator. Run a new 10 gauge or larger wire from the alternator to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Chevrolet/MWireChev57_3WD-097.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the ammeter only goes to 40 amps and a 100 amp alternator might blow the ammeter resistor.
There is a company that can convert your original ammeter to a voltmeter. I can find out the name if interested.
Yes, you need to connect the wires on the neg and pos terminals of the ammeter together and insulate well.
Remove the red wire from the horn relay that goes to the generator. Leave the red wire on the horn relay from the junction fuse box. Remove both wires from the generator to regulator. Run a new 10 gauge or larger wire from the alternator to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Chevrolet/MWireChev57_3WD-097.jpg
Thanks Don , Thanks that is the information that I was looking for . I won't need to convert the ammeter to volts though . I found a perfect 2 1/8 inch volt meter through Summit called " Old Tyme " ( antique look ) that is a match to all of the other gauges that i have already converted (fuel, temp, oil , and clock ) Thanks again , BJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts