Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks so much for reading my post.

I am about to have rotator cuff surgery in about a month, so I said what the heck now is as good a time to do a conversion from 3 on the tree cast iron tranny to a turbo 350 tranny. I have a original 6 cylinder baby blue motor 235, which I want to keep.

My questions are as follows.

(1) will the 350 turbo fit in like a glove ?
if not what do I need to do?

(2) Will I have to modify the drive shaft?

(3) what kind of steering wheel and stuff will I need ?

(4) I suppose that I will need a new speedo set up for a automatic tranny?

(5) open to all imput and suggestions.

You guys and gals are the best, and It goes without saying that i truly appreciate all of the expertise and brotherhood I have felt here among the members.

Respectfully

Stu

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm sure more guys will give you input

its been a while since I did a th350 trans swap :confused0006:

I think the drive shaft will fit

but you will have to change the yolk to a new style one, I think a 27 spline one

as far as mounting it I used a 350 kit that bolted to the bell housing and frame horns, there will be people that tell you, you need to run a crossmember for the trans. I think it depends on your horse power I personally dont have a rear crossmember on my trans and never had an issue.

The shifter, anything can be adapted but I used a lokar shifter with mine. As I remember if you have an power glide sleeve for the steering column you can buy a shifter rod.

the speedo cable should fit as well

again its been a while but i did this in my driveway it wasn't too difficult of a swap I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Have had that surgery to both my shoulders. It took a year each to loose nagging pain. Sure am glad I had it done.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,374 Posts
Stu.....First things first.....Putting a Turbo 350 behind a 1956, 6 cyl is not the same as putting it behind a V-8.....The bellhousing bolt pattern is totally different and will require an adaptor...Not sure who carries the adaptor....However, that's what I'd be looking for first.

P.S......Found the adaptor and some additional info here: http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/howto/trans.htm

Another thing you might consider is going to a TH200-R4 instead of the TH350

1 - 5 of 5 Posts