Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing the thermostat, is everyone using 50/50 mix of prestone and distilled water?

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
if you are using aluminum intake or radiator or heads you should always use distilled water . It greatly reduces electrolisys in the system. also using a 60% water 40% antifreeze mix works better in hot weather .also adding a bottle of water wetter helps too . :happy0030:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
if you are using aluminum intake or radiator or heads you should always use distilled water . It greatly reduces electrolisys in the system. also using a 60% water 40% antifreeze mix works better in hot weather .also adding a bottle of water wetter helps too . :happy0030:
I agree with this..straight tap water is not the way to go:)

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
:tu :party0031: except I use 70/30 percent each, as in 70 h20 and 30 anti freeze

·
Registered
747 Posts
I use either distilled water or water from my reverse osmosis system. Both seem to work well. Wish a lived in a little warmer climate so I could mix it something less than 50/50.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Real glad I read this thread. When I install my new Aluminum radiator I will now know to use distilled water. Thanks. :tu :tu

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
You need things like water pump lubricant, anti boil chemicals and rust inhibitors, all found in antifreeze. Antifreeze increase the cooling systems ability to boil at a higher temp, thus accept more heat. What's twenty bucks, when it comes to protecting your baby ?

·
Registered
36,119 Posts
Depends on what your local water is like. I don't think it's a real big risk even if you have a lot of minerals (calcium, limestone, etc.). They cause blockage and deposits but not corrosion.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Coolant Mixture

I guess when I stated how long I had been using a 50/50 mixture with regular water I should have stated I have never used an aluminum radiator. I worked at a very good radiator shop many years ago and later at a chemical plant where we made anti freeze and at one time THOUGHT I wanted to run a greater percentage anti freeze but was shown I would be wasting money. Everything I have been taught and read from the experts is why with the type of radiators I use and for the benefit of the motor and cooling system 50/50 is the way to go, just like changing the oil filter with each oil change it's just not worth it. I remember when allot of folks used to only change the oil filter every other oil change.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Oil Changes

Yeah a lot of people only changed them half the time. But as I remember the posted speeds then were only 50mph. There weren't discount stores on every corner, wages were much less and people used their heads more than their smaller bilfolds. I remember when I was very young that dad went to the hardware store to purchase methanol to put into the radiator for antifreeze. We found several of the empty one gallon cans when my parents sold their home.

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,368 Posts
not intending to shift topic but... for further savings on the oil changes, I once used a canister (from JC Whitney) that used a roll af TP instead of a filter! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts