Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order a new fan from summit. I installed a 350 using the stock 6 cylinder radiator in the 6 cyl position. What size fan would you recommend? Do You think I need a fan spacer to move the fan closer to the radiator? thanks to all!

Don

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 327 in my '55 with the radiator in the 6 cylinder position and I don't have a fan spacer. Plus, I run a short water pump on it too. The fan is just barely inside the shroud. I have no problems at all with overheating or anything. On a 95 degree day, it may get up to 210 degrees. May depend on how radical of a motor you have though. Mines a fairly mild motor.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I ran a 327 in a '55 about 35 years ago, with the rad. in V8 position I used a flex fan and I never had overheating problems. It was a daily driver and I had to got thru downtown Raleigh NC to get to and from work.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
On my 350 small block i'm runnin' a 17" six blade flex fan, Griffin aluminum radiator in V-8 position with a shroud, short water pump, 185 degree thermo, 17" single s-blade Hayden Electric pusher fan. There is about 1/2" between the fan bolts and the radiator.

With A/C on, idling in criuse traffic and temps around 105 to 115 degree's.......my car never runs hotter than 210. The electric fan is set to run at 210-215 degrees and seldom kicks on.

Tom

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I need a fan, I go electric all the way. Summit has an inexpensive 18" electric setup from Mr Gasket that we control with a toggle switch in the race car. They also have temp switches that you can set to come on at any desired temp.

I won't go back to belt driven again. The benefits of electric are great, the drawbacks are few...

Of course this won't help out the "back to original" guys (not that there's anything wrong with that...;) ).

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread, it answered most of my cooling questions. I'll be running an XE268 cam and Vortecs and can't afford an electric setup haha.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've been told that a shroud is a good idea too. I ordered one up from Danchuk but haven't installed it yet. Directions with the shroud recommend six blades or more 17" or 17.5".

I'm always surprised and interested how many times this fan / cooling thing comes up for discussion here at Tri Five.com

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Mine was running a flex fan which chopped the rad up!!

Now I have a Mr Gasket electric unit and it never gets over 195! Ever! So easy to fit!! I have a desert cooler rad in there that got rebuilt over here with a standard core!

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is very intersting reading everbodies thoughts about cooling systems and fan set ups. One thing no one ever mentions is pulley ratio. My company specializes in custom cooling systems. We work on stockers to 2000hp+ turbo and blower cars designing cooling systems. We are able to fix a good number of them by changing the pulley ratio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts