Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new thread in the hope someone out there can solve a problem for those of us wishing to use stock gauges with a mid-80's or later fuel injected engine.

PROBLEM: stock sender is 1/2" Natl. Pipe Thread. However, the only place to attach a sender on these engines is in the cylinder heads, and these are 3/8"NPT holes.

Does anybody know of a sender that is 3/8" NPT that has the correct ohm rating for the stock '57 Chev temp gauge (I believe it is 500 [email protected] degrees & 80 ohms @240 degrees, or so)?

Appreciate any help out there before I start trying to tap a 1/2" hole in the cylinder head on the engine in my car.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
You can also use a spacer with 1/2" NPT ports under the thermostat housing, if it's a traditional SBC/BBC. Summit/Jegs have them, I'm sure others too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried Those Ideas

Thanks for your quick responses. However, I've tried both without success.

The 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor won't work as the '57 sensor bottoms out in the fitting.

The thermostat housing spacer won't work with a TPI engine as the housing would interfere with the fuel injection unit.

So, I'm stll hoping for that elusive 3/8" sensor that matches the stock temp gauge.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
There is another solution, though it's not quite in the spirit of your question.

It is pretty easy to put an Autometer temp gauge in your 57 gauge pod. You'll be able to get a 3/8" NPT sensor for it.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
There is another solution, though it's not quite in the spirit of your question.

It is pretty easy to put an Autometer temp gauge in your 57 gauge pod. You'll be able to get a 3/8" NPT sensor for it.
Yes, Autometer 2 5/8" gauges look right at home in the 57 gauge pods.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aftermarket Gauges

Thanks for your suggestions on use of aftermarket gauges. Yeah, I may have to go that route if all else fails, but that is an expensive solution, as I feel I'd need to also get an aftermarket gas gauge as well, to keep the instrument cluster looking balanced.

I was going to install the 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor with a right angle adaptor to give me enough space to thread in the sensor, but I question how much flow of coolant you would get around the sensor. Gonna' try a trip to my local NAPA store to see if they can help me out, or I may go shopping for a 1/2"NPT tap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final Solution

Went with the 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor into the 90 degree adaptor, giving me room for the sensor. Here's a pic of the final installation.

Not sure how accurate the readings will be but will use my infared thermometer to determine actual temps at various gauge readings.

Hope this helps future folks installling TPI engines and wishing to use the stock temp gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to post what I just had done. I also wanted to use my stock temp gauge with my TPI engine. The shop I had doing some work, knowing my goal, replaced the water pump (the old one was leaking) and put the sender in the new water pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts