Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mustangs don't have frames, they are unibody cars and it depends on what year Vette you would be talking about as to using the frame. Since '84 Vettes haven't used a traditional perimeter frame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
im doing a C4 corvette front subframe on a 55 right now and it was a chore.I see where some guys are doing C6s now.Its not really too hard to install the C4 if you have someone who has done one and can tell you what to do.What you will have to do is make you a jig on your old frame before you cut out the old frame.and I'm talking about the radiator support the frame horns and the center of the old hubs.once you get a jig setup check and double check.before you cut out the old frame.You will have to get you a section of 3 by 5 box tubing.Oh when you cut the old frame cut it just in front of the old body mounts for the fire wall and cut them on a 17 degree angle,this will be important on the angle because thats what the corvette sub frame will be set on.and you need to get a sub frame from an early 90s to 94 it is just a little bit wider than the 84 to 89 and will fit better.You will have to make new frame horns and new radiator support brackets.Takes awhile to figure everything out on the first one but if i have to do another one will be a piece of cake.Dont be afraid and just jump in.and if you run into trouble and i know you will just pm me and ill help all i can.i think you can buy c4 subframes already set up for tri 5s but they are real high.I gave 700 for my subframe off of ebay.Iwould do it all over again just because i think it will handle like a dream and look cool too.hope this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for al that info Rod, I knew someone out there did this, well my main interest was to find a salvage/repairable unsure what year would work, for my other car a 39 Ford 2 doorcoupe. Being mustang two fronts are 2500.00 and then you need the whole drive train. So I thought the whole car and just cut the frame to width and length as needed, or stub in the front and rear. What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i guess the width would be the biggest problem.and the corvette sub would still have to be on a 17 degree angle for the geometry to handle right.i think the mustang 2 would probably be the best choice for what you want

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to a degree this is true, I havent checked the width, but was thinking of using the entire frame, and section in or lengthen or shorten as required, I just need to find which year corvette has a true frame, and not unibody,as X member can easily be welded in, as well as body mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.