Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 55 Delray has a 5.3 LM7 engine. Previous owner added the Corvette rail covers. Does this seem cheesy? Is this just a way of the making it look like an LS1? Or is this a fairly standard move? If you've got a swap with a 5.3 vortec, what are you using for covers?

Thanks,
Andrew

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All,

My 55 Delray has a 5.3 LM7 engine. Previous owner added the Corvette rail covers. Does this seem cheesy? Is this just a way of the making it look like an LS1? Or is this a fairly standard move? If you've got a swap with a 5.3 vortec, what are you using for covers?

Thanks,
Andrew

View attachment 349454
After market covers.. personally I think the corvett covers are cheesy.. In my opinion ls motors not real attractive. I dumped all the " plastic " stuff and went with polished aluminum where I could. Mine a bit more motor then yours but the principle is the same... ( 444 cid lsx bowtie block it my camaro my 57 is still a small block)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Andrew,
It does seem like a common, (not standard), practice to put some type of cover on LS (or LM) engines and it seems usual for the sake of dressing the motor up. Not necessarily to disguise the motor as something it is not. It's all up to your individual taste. If you like the way it looks, leave it on and don't worry about what others think. Half the people who look under the hood won't know the difference anyway.

I've got a new LS3 under my hood, but just sort of embraced the stock look, (for now), with no covers. My thought is, "it is what it is". Again, it's a personal thing. It's your car. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what other's think. Personally, I think it looks nice on your motor.
Brad

·
Registered
392 Posts
My stock 5.3 LM7 runs so good I try not to think about what it looks like. Although I really have to try. Looks much better than when it came out of a truck. I would love to get adapters for sbc Chevy valve covers, but it adds up to a lot of money that won't make it run any better, and harder to work on. "Form Follows Function"
The original engines in these cars never looked good for very long.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Corvette covers on a non-Corvette motor that's not in a Corvette wouldn't be my first choice. Some folks fill and custom paint those if that's the style you're after. There are lots of aftermarket options too.

I put a set of these on my last LS3 Corvette

Proform Parts 141-261 Proform Slant Edge Diecast Aluminum Valve Covers | Summit Racing

And I think if I ever put a 4.8/5.3 in my '55 I might spring for something like these. They're a few bucks but hide the coils too.

Holley 241-178 2-Pc LS "Chevrolet" Script Valve Covers - Factory Orange Machined Finish

Or they sell adapters to put a SBC valve cover on, then you just have to get creative and find a place to hide your coil packs.

GM "LS" Motor Valve Cover Adapters | DelmoSpeed

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
7,895 Posts
From what I have seen normally most folks only try to hide the ugly Vortec inlet manifold with some sort of cover, such as mine below. Yours has had the LS1 inlet manifold fitted, and along with the Corvette coil covers looks good IMHO.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
392 Posts
What is your cover off of Kiwi? I agree the Vortec cover is ugly. I've been thinking about how I could make one out of 14ga. aluminum across the top, and angled over the coils.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
7,895 Posts
It's off a Chevy SSR, which was the Chevy folding hardtop pickup thingy from 2003-2006. It was on the car when I bought it, so have just left it there as it's better than nothing. Here is a better pic.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Auto part

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,013 Posts
Some of the 'covers' are so large, one may as well just leave their hood closed... same impact.. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here is what I did with my LQ4 on which I kept the truck intake. I added the "Chevrolet" script and the "6.0L" to spruce it up a bit. Definitely not going to win any awards but I like utilitarian things.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

I don't necessarily think the Corvette coil covers are tacky but they do seem to be the go-to practice for LS swaps I've seen.

·
Registered
37,616 Posts
I don't necessarily think the Corvette coil covers are tacky but they do seem to be the go-to practice for LS swaps I've seen.
They were very common on swaps 10-12 years ago, but their popularity faded pretty rapidly after that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I really love how the 5.3 tunnel-ram Vortec intake makes awesome power right where you need it. My car weighs 2000 pounds less than the truck it came out of. It feels like it pulls harder than the 5.7 in my C5. It would be great if the aftermarket, or someone could figure out a way to hide it from view though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was under the impression that one of the functions of the covers was to quieten the injector 'tick', along with hiding them.

Personally I think that the Vette covers do good job of covering the injectors, and they do quieten the tick some what, but I could be biased......

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle

LS's without covers just unfinished to me, but that's just my personal viewpoint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After market covers.. personally I think the corvett covers are cheesy.. In my opinion ls motors not real attractive. I dumped all the " plastic " stuff and went with polished aluminum where I could. Mine a bit more motor then yours but the principle is the same... ( 444 cid lsx bowtie block it my camaro my 57 is still a small block)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
very nice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andrew,
It does seem like a common, (not standard), practice to put some type of cover on LS (or LM) engines and it seems usual for the sake of dressing the motor up. Not necessarily to disguise the motor as something it is not. It's all up to your individual taste. If you like the way it looks, leave it on and don't worry about what others think. Half the people who look under the hood won't know the difference anyway.

I've got a new LS3 under my hood, but just sort of embraced the stock look, (for now), with no covers. My thought is, "it is what it is". Again, it's a personal thing. It's your car. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what other's think. Personally, I think it looks nice on your motor.
Brad
Thanks for that perspective, Brad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Corvette covers on a non-Corvette motor that's not in a Corvette wouldn't be my first choice. Some folks fill and custom paint those if that's the style you're after. There are lots of aftermarket options too.

I put a set of these on my last LS3 Corvette

Proform Parts 141-261 Proform Slant Edge Diecast Aluminum Valve Covers | Summit Racing

And I think if I ever put a 4.8/5.3 in my '55 I might spring for something like these. They're a few bucks but hide the coils too.

Holley 241-178 2-Pc LS "Chevrolet" Script Valve Covers - Factory Orange Machined Finish

Or they sell adapters to put a SBC valve cover on, then you just have to get creative and find a place to hide your coil packs.

GM "LS" Motor Valve Cover Adapters | DelmoSpeed
killer options. Thanks

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,013 Posts
I wish my hearing was 1/2 as good as Roscoe7's.. or maybe even 1/10 as good.. :) as I've never heard the injector ticking.. :)

Re the LS coil covers, I've disliked the 'look' of LS engines since they debuted in 1997, but we can't ignore their performance and their availability, so we're stuck with the looks for awhile... so we make the best of it. I chose the covers below for my LS1 to get closer to the 'old school' look of valve covers...
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Engineering

1 - 18 of 18 Posts