Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard all the stories ,you just need a good mechanic who knows carburetors i found one and twice i broke down out of town with an inch of gas on the manifold.first time i took off the back bowl ad blew the heck out of every orifice i could find ,got me home and even drove it to Pennsylvania,then i had the stalling in the middle of roundabouts,and hesitation when pushing her ,very inconsistent then she breaks down with the transfer tube gasket leaking all over the place,bring her to the man he changes the gasket and all is good until a week later i have to pour gas into it to start it.take it back and the man cannot find why the accelerator pump is not injecting removes the front bowl blows it out and all is good i drive to the car parts place and buy a carb right off the floor model the mechanic changes her [20 bucks for parts ] and im so far back in business[eddlebrock is the new one] im in no way putting hollys down i just think i had a bad one and hope all is well now

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
I must admit Don
if the Holley I have now was to give me any grief I would throw it in a heartbeat
and fit a new Demon !
I have never had an Edelbrock carb before
so I really can't say anything about them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
ive heard all the stories ,you just need a good mechanic who knows carburetors i found one and twice i broke down out of town with an inch of gas on the manifold.first time i took off the back bowl ad blew the heck out of every orifice i could find ,got me home and even drove it to Pennsylvania,then i had the stalling in the middle of roundabouts,and hesitation when pushing her ,very inconsistent then she breaks down with the transfer tube gasket leaking all over the place,bring her to the man he changes the gasket and all is good until a week later i have to pour gas into it to start it.take it back and the man cannot find why the accelerator pump is not injecting removes the front bowl blows it out and all is good i drive to the car parts place and buy a carb right off the floor model the mechanic changes her [20 bucks for parts ] and im so far back in business[eddlebrock is the new one] im in no way putting hollys down i just think i had a bad one and hope all is well now
Holly carbs work very well. You just need a really good filter and get the right accelerator spray nozzle. Most come with to small and they will hesitate and back fire when stomping the gas. The right power valve for your engine make a huge difference. If it back fires you now need a new power valve as it's going to leak. Then it leaks the fuel out of the fuel bowl into the engine.

Most people don't even know how to adjust holly carb.
There is more to them than just two air screws on the side.
The power valve is sized to your engine vacuum.
If yours is a vacuum secondary the spring must also be sized to work right.
If not you may only have a two barrel.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,932 Posts
some one made the comment about putting on a demon carb if his holley went bad . DON'T they are a knock off of a holley and the mfg can't even tell you anything about it . just use a good filter and take the time to learn how to tune it . John

·
Registered
425 Posts
Iv'e had Hollys on all my cars .
I have had small issues with them but nothing that couldn't
be worked out.
I bought a new smallblock for the 56 and went with a
Quick fuel carb .
I'm very happy with the Quick fuel carb.
Much better than the holly.
Check them out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Iv'e had Hollys on all my cars .
I have had small issues with them but nothing that couldn't
be worked out.
I bought a new smallblock for the 56 and went with a
Quick fuel carb .
I'm very happy with the Quick fuel carb.
Much better than the holly.
Check them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.