Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1955 Chevy 2dr sedan, 327 engine, aod tranny, ac, bucket seats, flame paint job, tint windows.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you remove cowl from 55chevy sedan without taking windshield out? I need to get in there to find a leak.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It all depends on where you are finding water. Is it on top of the dash? Is it running down inside the dash? Sometimes the cowl end caps can become clogged with leaf debris and water will back up and find it's way inside. You could get one of those $49 bore scopes and run it up from the bottom and look for stoppage. If you don't see anything when you remove the cowl vent cover I would consider getting the borescope and looking inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you remove cowl from 55chevy sedan without taking windshield out? I need to get in there to find a leak.
Both my main cowl vent leading down to the interior kick plate vents and what I will call the lower scuppers leading up to the door scuppers ( on each end of the windshield where the upper doors and upper fenders meet ) were packed with leaves and debrie . The lower scuppers are located between the lower inner fender splash guard and the firewall / toe board . These latter I cleaned out using a combo of a piece of wire and my air.compressor . As to the kick plate vents and cowl vent , I removed the kick plate vents and used compressor air from both ends . I had to go at this 4 or 5 times until all was cleared out . My.point is this situation can cause water to back up and potentially come into the dash area . I also used the same process on the rockers .

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can remove the cowl side panels and see everything in there. Its a good idea to do that during a restoration anyway to clean it all out and paint it, after all that is the path your fresh air takes to the cabin, and its usually nasty in there.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I found rust damage at the lower edges of the cowl caps and removed about the lower eight inches from each side to repair them. That is when I realized that that rust was more extensive than I thought. I then removed both entire caps and was blown away at the internal damage that was invisible from the exterior. The gutters were extensively compromised. I made new gutters and plan to install them after sandblasting that area. I also found that the backside of the front pillars were rusted badly. The hinge plate covers were almost totally gone and I had to replace the metal in some areas around the hinges. None of the above damage could be seen until I removed the cowl caps.

·
Registered
438 Posts
All I know is don't ever drop something small into the cowl vent, like a new windshield molding clip. There is a secret hidden channel going down the firewall off the end of the cowl. The channel tapers towards the end to trap bigger objects. These cars really need a screen under the cowl vent. Any leaf off of a tree will fall right in there and be trapped forever, and along with my clip.

·
Registered
1955 Chevy 2dr sedan, 327 engine, aod tranny, ac, bucket seats, flame paint job, tint windows.
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there any pics. or video of windshield out to show whole cowl? I can't find any!

·
Registered
887 Posts
From what you've said, it's possible that the rubber seal has dry rotted underneath the bottom edge of the glass and water is seeping through. There isn't much to deter the water from getting inside once it gets past the seal.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Hood

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what you've said, it's possible that the rubber seal has dry rotted underneath the bottom edge of the glass and water is seeping through. There isn't much to deter the water from getting inside once it gets past the seal.
View attachment 352176 View attachment 352175
View attachment 352176 View attachment 352175
Is that a 55 chevy? It looks different from mine .From those pics. I can't really tell. Thanks Geno

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it is a 55. two door post 210
Thanks, I can see the 5 screws holding the front of cowl down by hood, but where the screws on back are. Maybe under rubber around bottom of windshield. I am not sure I want to take off bottom trin to see. I had it checked at glass place over 1 year ago and he said it looked fairly new and in good shape. It was a Calif. car from new and haven't found any rust yet. Thanks again, I am looking for video or pics of r/r windshield/cowl to get better idea. Geno

1 - 20 of 23 Posts