Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
The cowl vent brings outside air into the car....You can eliminate it with aftermarket A/C systems, if you want to....However, I don't think I would....Enjoy the outside air coming in on warm days.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ythey are great on a hot day, however they are horrible when you get to take your car on your first test drive at highway speed and you have pine needles, dried up bugs, sanding dust, and whatever else may have settled in there while you were working on it pelting you in the leg, chest, and face. But after you get all that s*>t cleaned out of there they are really nice.

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
When air conditioning became more or less standard equipment on cars, I guess in the early 70s, the automakers kind of forgot about things they once did to provide ventilation/cool air in times prior to that.

Chevy's "Astro ventilation" from the late 60s/70s only works really nice when it's really nice out.

The vents from the cowl to the kick panels, or in the case of the 57, from the vent tubes to the kick panels, were forgotten.

Also, the window configuration changed when they eliminated the vent windows in the doors.

Between the two, it's a big deal. I don't think you'll ever overcome truly hot daytime weather without a/c, but the original kick panel vents and vent windows work well when the temperature isn't too hot, especially if the sun's not up.

I notice that my 09 truck doesn't even have the equivalent of "astro ventilation" any more. You're just supposed to have the a/c on. Or the heat, whichever you need.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I have A/C in my 56 but I enjoy the choice of using it or the kick panel vents and the vent windows too... The "General" was right on when he came up with them... If I were to purchase another trifive and the cowl vents were filled in it would be a deal breaker for me... Later, Dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
What is the purpose of the front cowl vent?

besides catching water and leaves?

I notice a few guys have eliminated them/smoothed them over....

any down side? :confused0006:
hi john ,im just in the middle of welding my vent up for that smooth custom look . if i need fresh air i will wind the window down. cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts