Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove the 57 with the new CPP 500 gear box. I love it. The handling is sooo much improved over the 605. I changed to the 500 because I was tired of the leaky 605. I should of done this upgrade a long time ago. I should of changed it just because the 500 is so much better, not because the 605 was leaking again!!
Jeffrey

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just drove the 57 with the new CPP 500 gear box. I love it. The handling is sooo much improved over the 605. I changed to the 500 because I was tired of the leaky 605. I should of done this upgrade a long time ago. I should of changed it just because the 500 is so much better, not because the 605 was leaking again!!
Jeffrey
Thats good to hear, im going with one of those in the future. Any tips for some one looking to do this? I love the stock look of the car. But when im done it will handle like a modern car.

Have you tuned the algnment? What are you using for caster settings? And what size tires are you running up front? Sorry for all the questions.

Mike

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, Before you buy a 500 box check with Jalapeno [he is on this site] for a price. I bought mine from him.
Front tire size: 225 50 X 17

This article is taken from CCI and is good for the 500 box.
Tech Tips
When installing the 605, 670, Delphi or rack and pinion steering convers
i o n s, a different set of alignment specs must be used to avoid wandering
and over-sensitive steering feel:
Caster Degrees: +2-1/2 to 3-1/2 +2-1/2 to 3-1/2 +2-1/2 to 3-1/2
Camber Degrees: Pass- -1/4 -1/4 -1/4
Driver- 0 0 0
Steering Axis
Inclination Degrees: 3-1/2 +/- 1/2 3-1/2 to 4 1/2 3 to 4
Toe-In Inches: 1/8 to 3/16 1/8 to 3/16 1/8 to 1/4

Hope this helps, if not get back with me.
Good luck!!
Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mickey, I liked my 605 box too. I would still go to a 500 box even if my 605 had no problems. The feel of the car is very improved. If you know someone who has one drive it and you will see what I mean. It is $, but I like it.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks for that info on the box. And i found the article. Looks like around 3* positive caster is a good starting point. I should be able to get that with the offset upper control arm shafts. Not really looking for a lot of flash in the suspension. Just what works.

Now if i could just find some unbolts for the rear swaybar.:confused0006:

Good luck enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for a northern ca east bay shop to install CPP 500 in 57

Hey guys I'm looking for a northern ca shop possibly in east bay to install the ccp500 power steering kit. I would like to take to a shop that has done them before because every shop says they can try to install but I would rather go with an experienced shop. The 57 currently doesn't have power steering.
Had a small block Chevy currently with shorty headers. . Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any northern ca shops install the CPP 500 power steering kit on a 57

Guys I'm looking for a shop that is familiar with installing the CPP 500 power steering kit on a 57 with a small block Chevy and shortie headers. Places I have stopped to ask just say I think I can. Do you know anyone in northern ca that is experienced doing it and preferably in the east Bay Area but I will go farther if I have to. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts