Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the CPP front/rear disc brake kit with drop spindles. I am ready to pack the front bearings and put the rotors on and I got to thinking: Isn't there supposed to be a seal that goes on the back of the rotor to seal the inside bearing? I have none in my kit.

If you look at the pictures of CPP's site it shows seals for this purpose (similair looking to pinion seals). I found some instructions on CPP's site and it says nothing about seals for the inside bearing INSTRUCTIONS It just says to slide the inside bearing on, then the rotor, then outside bearing, etc.

There has to be something there to keep the elements out of the inside bearing as it rides up against the shoulder of the spindle.

Anyone? I have never done front bearings before, but this just seems like common sense, especially since they are shown in the sales picture, yet the instructions don't say squat about it. AND, the rotor appears to be machined to fit a seal of that sort.

Frustrated.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Yes, you have to have a seal behind the rear bearing. Grease will sling all over the rotor as well as dirt will kill the bearing. I don't like the idea of installing a greased bearing and then putting the caliper bracket on, either. Picture 3 and 4 of the instructions. I have always put the greased bearing in the rotor, tap the seal in the rotor and then slideing it on the spindle. I don't see how you could get the seal in the rotor if you put it on the spindle first. Send a PM to "cpptech".
You gotta have a seal. :confused0006:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don, I'm not the most experienced guy working on cars, but some things are just commone sense. Why they don't show them in the instructions is beyone me....might be costing them some dollars with people ruining parts and exchanging them by following their instructions.

I am sending an email to Aaron right now so that I can get on with my project.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,036 Posts
Yes, you have to have a seal behind the rear bearing. Grease will sling all over the rotor as well as dirt will kill the bearing. I don't like the idea of installing a greased bearing and then putting the caliper bracket on, either. Picture 3 and 4 of the instructions. I have always put the greased bearing in the rotor, tap the seal in the rotor and then slideing it on the spindle. I don't see how you could get the seal in the rotor if you put it on the spindle first. Send a PM to "cpptech". You gotta have a seal. :confused0006:

Don & Mike.....Those instructions look all fouled up to me also IRT the inner bearing installation. :confused0006:

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Did you get the small rotors? If so, you could run down to your local auto parts supplier and get the seals for them. If you did not want to wait. I believe the seals for the small 10 1/2 rotor would be for a 1980 Monte Carlo or similar GM G-body mid size.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hafrod,

I have the 12" rotors. My dad was asking me what year/model car these rotors replicate so you can buy replacement parts. I told him I don't know. I asked Aaron that in the email I sent him regarding sending me the seals. The bearings have CHINA printed on them!!!

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Take a rotor with you and try 1980 Caprice and 1980 Z28 Camaro. I know they offered a big rotor in these two vehicle body styles. If they ask if the Caprice is Police package say yes. The code- 1 LE comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaron hooked me up today with the seals and they are on the way. I also ordered the CPP500 power steering box as well. Looking forward to putting this all together. Thanks Aaron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.