Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator & Tech Articles
55,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a problem with the fuel gauge on my newly acquired '55....It would stay at 1/3 full regardless of what was in the tank.....Took the wire off the sender, the gauge went to full....Grounded the sender wire, it went to empty.....This confirmed that the gauge and wiring were good and the sender was bad.

Ordered a new sender....When I went to replace the old one, I noticed it was a replacement and fairly new at that.....When I pulled it, I noticed that the float had several cracks and that was the true cause of the problem.

Moral of story....When replacing a sender unit, throw away the float and relace it with the F*&^ unit.....Part # COAZ9202B .....While your at it, ditch the rubber gasket, and get the cork one from Greg Coleman....He has an ad at CT.....Also use screws with copper washers and tighten them in a star pattern.

· Administrator
50,668 Posts
Yep, had to replace the fuel sender float on mine when i went to driving it. That sucker was full as it could get when i pulled it. The only furd part in my car as far as i can remember.
Terry

· Registered
394 Posts
Hey David, Pops, I went under my '55 today to do the same thing and found my float fine, but the copper strap on my sender that connects the wire to the inside, has broke off. I wonder if i connect a good gauge wire between the break, if that would fix it or just go get a new sender?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.