Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a tire fail on the Interstate the other day, so was just in getting 2 new tires (my spare was an ancient snow tire) and new valve stems all around since this is my second valve stem failure on these 2018 tires. Maybe someone cheaped out and didn't use new stems 3 years ago?

Anyways, on one of the 'good' wheels (ie. not the one that was doing Interstate speeds with a shredded tire on it) the shop couldn't get it to hold air. It drove in fine but after the valve stem was replaced, it kept leaking down. After some head scratching, they found it's actually a crack in the rim. Here it is as-found and cleaned up.

Was this a common problem with these old wheels? I've never had a steel wheel crack like this in the almost 30 years I've been messing with cars. I'm looking for a replacement but also tempted to just weld it up for now so I have a spare tire. It looks like the failure is right across the factory weld seam.

Automotive tire Grey Tread Composite material Wood
Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Grey Automotive design

·
Registered
289 Posts
My father had that leaving the dealer with a brand new '74 Ventura . They sent him to the tire store , who sent him back to the dealer . Shoulda seen the show when they told him to wait . He threatened to drive through the front window , went out revved the car and the did a burn out . They fixed it pretty quick after that . What a customer service lesson I got back then .

Robbie OD

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the valve stem failing on its own or is the wheel cover causing it?
Good question. There was some rub marks higher up where the hubcap touched, but the failure appeared to be at the base. On further reflection, it may have even been the same one I had changed before I left on my trip, which doesn't make it any less odd. Is there a right or wrong valve stem to use on these? The tire shop today said they were using all 'fat' valve stems, not sure what the shop back in Canada used.

·
Administrator
66,908 Posts
I had mine replaced with a steel valve stem, it was the extended type so I could put air in without removing the hub cap, the steel valve stem wont bend or rip out causing a flat.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll track down some steel ones for the next set of tires, looking for some protectors or something for the time being. The tire shop looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for metal valve stems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts