Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So - I want 15" Cragar SS wheels on my 1956 150 Sedan.
Rear is stock, with power front disc mod.
I have dug through dozens of posts on tires and wheels, and took all the measurements and used the wheel/tire calculator, but I'm still a bit confused.
And the local wheel shops are all but worthless as they don't stock Cragar and want to sell me their favorite brand.
The calculator, for the rear, sticking with all standard dimensions, says I can run a 255 tire,
15 X 8" wheel with 4.25" BS, which is standard for a Cragar SS.
But some on the site say run away unless it's 4.5" BS
The front is standard inner fender dimension, with 62.25" wheel mount width.
Calculator says on the front - 15 X 6 with 3.25" BS (once again Cragar standard), 205 tire, may work, but also says may hit fender when turning.
Does anybody else run this set up on their 56 with standard rear axle, and the standard "chevelle" front disc brake retrofit?
Also, apparently the disc brakes move the hubs out 1.25" per side (2.5" total). And I don't want the wheels sticking out more than the rears. That would look goofy.
But I want Cragars, so is that 3.25" backspace (offset -6mm) going to look ok?
This is the last great mountain to climb to finish up a 6 year off frame nut and bolt restoration, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Tom W

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,171 Posts
Was there a reason why you didn't go for the 'zero offset' disc kit? That additional width seems extreme. Mentally it seems like a Citroen look.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Here's what I went with for my 56 hardtop. Stock rear, disc up front.
Cragar, SS front, 0 offset, and 4" rear spacing. 15x7
Rear, -6mm offset, 4 1/4" rear spacing. 15x8
Tires, front 215-65-15
Rears, 235-70-15 rears are as big as I would go, there is about two finger width inside, and a little less on the outside.
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173556

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zip,
Thanks for responding - I did see your previous thread.
Cragar is moving their factory, and there are no 15X7 direct drill SS rims on the planet, and won't be until at least August, and I don't want the unilug, or wait any longer after a 6 yr build.
Jegs has 15x6 available - here is the specs;
Backspacing (in.) 3.25
Offset (mm) -6
Wheel Bolt Pattern (in.) 5 x 4 1/2
Wheel Diameter (in.) 15
Wheel Width (in.) 6
Manufacturer's Part Number: 61C561232
I'm afraid that 3.25 BS will look goofy.
Thoughts??

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
It is the most economical front disc brake kit.
Lots of people use them.
Yes nothing wrong with the Chevelle disc brakes, I have been running them for 20 years now and not any issues at all. Now when I ran 15's and cragars on my 55 I was running 255/60/15 on the stock rear end and 235/60/15 on the fronts. Now I have been told the Chevelle disc brakes only move the wheel out by 7/8" and I also run 2" dropped springs up front.

My cragars were 15x7 with standard offset and I was running the uni-lug style, never had any issues with them at all. I know you mentioned you didn't want the uni-lug but they were not any problems for me,

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Zip,
Thanks for responding - I did see your previous thread.
Cragar is moving their factory, and there are no 15X7 direct drill SS rims on the planet, and won't be until at least August, and I don't want the unilug, or wait any longer after a 6 yr build.
Jegs has 15x6 available - here is the specs;
Backspacing (in.) 3.25
Offset (mm) -6
Wheel Bolt Pattern (in.) 5 x 4 1/2
Wheel Diameter (in.) 15
Wheel Width (in.) 6
Manufacturer's Part Number: 61C561232
I'm afraid that 3.25 BS will look goofy.
Thoughts??
Should be 5x 4 3/4:tu
As (zbad55) wrote, what's wrong with uni lugs? Nothing that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just prefer to have the direct drill. The unilug puts an additional lateral strain on the wheel stud. But at this point I just want my car done. I am ordering 15 X 8 direct drill and 15 X 7 unilug from Summit. I'll send pics with the new wheels. Thanks for the help guys!!

·
Premium Member
14,171 Posts
It is the most economical front disc brake kit.
Lots of people use them.
Lots of guys that don't want the extended out front wheels buy the zero offset kits as well. Was just wondering why you chose the go the extended out route.

I'll ask a follow up because I'm interested...Have you found an advantage to the kit you bought over the zero kit? Was curious if the brackets are better or stronger, or if any of the other parts are better?

I'm planning to buy the zero kit, but don't want to find out that it was a mistake afterwards.

·
Premium Member
12,211 Posts
I have uni-lugs on my 57, same set that has been on the car for like 30 years, but was the second set. So I will tell you why he does not want the unilugs, because they absolutely suck trying to get the wheel, lugs and washers lined up when you are putting the wheel back on the car, particularly as I am getting older. At some point I will change to a set of direct drills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts