Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 Belair Spt Cpe
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone Drilledand Tapped their crank so they could bolt on the crank pulley? The guys I have helping me are telling me that I should do it. I know it did'nt come that way but what do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
:blowtiedb:
Has anyone Drilledand Tapped their crank so they could bolt on the crank pulley? The guys I have helping me are telling me that I should do it. I know it did'nt come that way but what do you think?
If you are talking about one large hole for damper retainer I think you;d be better off to have your machine shop do it.

·
Premium Member
1956 Belair Spt Cpe
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drill and Tap

Thats what I meant, was have it done in the machine shop.... Just do you think it should be done or not.....

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts
I'm of the theory: If it ain't broke, don't fix it....Chevrolet never started drilling the cranks for the bolt, until the late '60's.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I did that on my drag engines, of course I was a machinist at the time so doing it in a lathe was no problem. It is not expensive so I would get it done, you might want to put a blower on it some day, good day.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've never had a problem with the press-on balancer for street use. If you plan on racing or even high revs you should probably do it, if only for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I have seen one where someone polished the crank and the balancer bore so they did not have a hard time pressing the balancer, made a mess. As long as the fit is tight then it should be no issue. If the crank is at the machineshop why not get it done. Good day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts