Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the GM crate 350 in their 55-57? This is the route I was looking at and wondered if anyone came across any problems.
Thanks!
Eldon

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
FRom what I have heard it's a pretty good way to go. Price is right and with a decent warranty unless you plan to go fuel injected. Then I would recomend a late model salvage. LS1/ 4L60's are getting pretty reasonible

·
Administrator
49,364 Posts
Crate is the only way to go any more. By the time you pay for machine work and overhaul kit you can`t come out ahead and the crate has a warranty that the overhaul won`t have. And fuel injection is way to reliable not to consider as far as i`m concerned.
Terry

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about EFI as well. I might look in to that as well. But you can't beat $350 for an intake and carb.
Eldon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I want to get a 55 2dr with no motor or trans and put in a 350 crate and a transmission "to match", paint the car flat black, and have a very simple interior....that would be a real cool driver!

·
Administrator
49,364 Posts
I can say from my point of view that simple would be great at this point. I am keeping an eye out for a daily driver car, early Camaro, mid 70`s chevelle or olds cutlass.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'd love to find a 68 Cutlass, preferably a 442....but this is a trifive forum so shame on me for that short divergence....

I'd love to find a 55.....(back on track!).....:)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
When my 1990 chevy truck had engine problems with the 4.3, I had the local gm dealer install a new 350 engine and it was a great deal, still doing fine, now their are 2 types of create engines from gm, I mean the standard 350, not racing or anything, you can get a 350 2 bolt main, or a 350 4 bolt main, I got the 4 bolt main since I had in put in a truck, but I don't think that you will ever know the difference except the extra cost of the 4 bolt.

Otis:)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1957chevy said:
I want to get a 55 2dr with no motor or trans and put in a 350 crate and a transmission "to match", paint the car flat black, and have a very simple interior....that would be a real cool driver!
That is exactly what I am looking to build except I want a 4 door. Just plain, simple, easy to maintain, and classic all at the same time. I want something that I can drive to work and drive to the local Sonic Drive-In on Friday nights or a local car show on the weekend. I miss the 2 1964 Impalas I built and I miss working on them. Somehow a 2004 Nissan Frontier doesn't give the same satisfaction as a classic Chevy.
Eldon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I know what you mean, Eldon! I wouldn't mind a 4dr either, just thought with my 4dr 57 I'd like something different, but maybe I should just make it a point to keep getting 4drs!

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL!!! At this point I would take anything I could get. I would be happy as it gets with a '55-'57 4dr rustbucket wagon. I just need to get back into it. I sold my 1964 Impala 2dr in 1995 and have regretted it ever since. I decided on the tri-five cars since they symbolize the best of American style. No matter what, everyone on the planet (except those in China and Tibet, and even some of them probably know what a '57 Chevy is) recognizes the tri-five Chevys. As for the Chevy, I think the small block Chevy (265,283,327,350) brought about a revolution in the engine industry. I can think of nothing better to drive than a '55, '56' or '57 Chevy with a small block V-8 and manual transmission. MMMM.... Can life get better? :D
Eldon

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohhhh.... almost forgot about the Crate 350. Summit has the 260hp crate motor for $1480. Does anyone know of a better price?
Eldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I remember correctly the Summit one comes with no intake and accesories? If so, then take a look at Scoggin Dickey Performance Parts www.spdc2000.com.

They have the GM Goodwrench Crate 350 for $1439. But they have the engine with intake, carb, HEI, and more for $2095 HERE. Not a bad deal for a new engine that's almost complete.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy complete engines, Batman! That looks like a pretty good deal! I think I may know where I will go for a finished motor! Thanks for the links!
Eldon

PS. The first link is bad, you have it spelled SPDC, not SDPC :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Summit has a "beat-a-price guarantee." They say they will beat any advertised price. I wonder if this applies to websites? Jeg's list the G.M. 10067353 for $1359.99 + truck freight.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm. That is something to ponder. Try to get them in a price war! LOL! We could end up with a new crate motor for $1000. Wouldn't that be nice!
Eldon

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to have a catalouge to a company that had the engine for $1295 shipped to your door. But I don't remember where it is in my vast collection of useless parts catalouges :D . If you shop around you might find it under $1300.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm... That is definetly interesting. For the cost of a rebuilt 350 (if you are not interested in concours resto) you can put in a BRAND NEW motor that will last 30 more years. Dress it up with period correct exterior parts and Voiala!
Eldon

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think this will be the route I take. They have the dyno results on a GM crate motor on the Horsepower TV's website. They will supposedly be talking about it this weekend on Spike TV.
Eldon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts