Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a fresh motor into my 57 4D and looks like Jegs is the place to go, specifically the 260hp motor @ $1,499 [#809-10067353]. They price match so I was curious if ya'll know of a lower price. I was hoping to rebuild my current 350 but it's hard to argue with the $$ bottom line. I plan on using my existing accessories minus the water pump (that is replaced also).

We put a call in to our local dealership (Roseville, CA) for pricing and he quoted us a crazy high price on a 190hp crate and once he found out it was going into a 57 Chevy, he said the warranty would only be 1 year. What does it matter?

I have accounted for all the gaskets, etc, and I will be using the existing auto tranny. For those who have gone down this path, is there anything needs that surfaced unexpectedly.

The engine has timing tabs for a 6-3/4'' or an 8'' balancer. Pros and cons for each?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/10067353/10002/-1?parentProductId=

I am new to the world of classic cars and when I realized I needed to bail on my tired 350 initially felt ill. I got over quick as I get to slap a new engine in a 1957 CHEVY!! No complaining here.

Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
For years I've looked at crate motors but never bought one. I would because I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. You can't rebuild a motor properly for what you can buy a crate motor for.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If I am correct I think Jegs is doing Free shipping on some crate engines. If they aren't see if Summit is they will match it. When I bought mine last month Jegs wan't offering free shipping but Summit was so they matched it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Jegs is currently offering free shipping. I am not doing the swap and will be shipping to my mechanic.

On a side note, what would you guys value a old 350 4bolt with solid lifters, pop up pistons, and overdone cam? The compression ratio is crazy high and the streetability is horrible but sings when throttled. I ask because that's is what is under my hood. No intake manifold, no carb. I have no other history of the motor. ((Ballpark)). I thought about re-camming it but I want to start with a clean slate and not put more $$ into the abyss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts