Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there has been some interest in raised spindles I thought I would post some details of my buddies 55 with raised spindles and some pictures of my raised spindles.
Buddies spindle
Buddies spindle
Leaf springs on top of axle
His beautiful 55
My spindle

These are two stock spindles welded together. The pictures show there can be variation in the total height of the spindle. Mine raised the front end about five inches and my buddy is almost seven inches higher. It is not something I would recommend unless you are an experienced welder. The raised spindles can be used with stock drum brakes or disc brakes. However a Corvette style wheel with allot of reverse backspacing will not work because the wheel will hit the top of the spindle.
The brace between the two spindles is one half inch thick and is obviously very important. Welding the two together at the correct angle is the key. Notice the top of the spindle on mine has the brake stud, that thing the springs attach to (I don't know what it is called) ground off for more tire clearance and it is still on my buddies spindles. Again this will depend on your backspacing whether or not it needs to be ground off. This is only a minor detail.
The steering will be the same as before but will require an alignment. As with any gasser up in the air your cornering ability will be less but you knew that. Long term it might cause more cross member sag. Also a longer brake hose will be needed.
I ran these spindles for about ten years during the seventies but now my car is lowered. My buddy still has them on his beautiful 55 and it is known as ‘High Five’

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I love the red 55! But a raised spindle on the pot holes here in PA would be scary at best!
Rick

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey Bilihi, Thanks for the pics.:)

I've been thinking about fabing up some raised spindles
in my shop this winter.
I still need to get a couple more spindles before I start.
Your post helps a lot.
You know what they say, A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Hey Bilihi, Thanks for the pics.:)

I've been thinking about fabing up some raised spindles
in my shop this winter.
I still need to get a couple more spindles before I start.

Mike
i've got a spindle i'll give you for shipping. the threaded parts is DEAD. but that would be removed anyway. let me know.......

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Man that looks SCARY !!!
Done quite commonly back in the 1980s to Tri-5 Chevies. Well, those who wanted their vehicles raised to the sky.

At least 6 members of our local Classic Chevy club did this to their cars.

It's called: Extended Spindles.

Adding cut down disk brakes from a 1970s Monte Carlo was also popular.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I would really like some raised spindles yet I'm no way a fabricator and have not found anyone locally willing to make some...they look at me like I'm nuts or speaking a foreign language.

Does anyone know where I could obtain a set?. I already have a new set of 3.5" lift rear leafs ready to be installed. I'd really like to do this over the coming winter along with a repaint

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would really like some raised spindles yet I'm no way a fabricator and have not found anyone locally willing to make some...they look at me like I'm nuts or speaking a foreign language.
who could blame them. i wouldn't want to be the guy that created that accident waiting to happen do to part failure either.

i don't care if i was the greatest welder on the planet. there's no way in **** i would ever make something like that for someone else.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

Does anyone know where I could obtain a set?. I already have a new set of 3.5" lift rear leafs ready to be installed. I'd really like to do this over the coming winter along with a repaint
A local guy built his own jig and was selling them. But that was back in the 1980s.

I know he still owns his Sedan Delivery that was set up like this. And I'm certain the car they built for his brother in law still exists.

·
Registered
58 Posts
spindles

I would like slightly raised spindes too. I'm handy at fabbing. But my question is what about them being cast steel. They must be hardened . Heatin them up with my 220 mig sounds iffy. I know my race buddies have tweaked them back after a wreck.. Just wondering about the hazards of heating them up I guess...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
They are not " cast steel ", they are forged steel. Big difference.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
What brake hose would be best for the extended spindles? The stock hoses are a bit short. I had read possibly that 72 truck hoses would work?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm sure somebody might say next "he sounds like a cop" they would be
right , I am a long retired Az. Highway Patrolman and I have seen it all ,
believe me , any comments would be welcome : )

easyways
well easyways I am not a police officer but I was an ASME certified nuclear welder for 32 years and with some of the weld and metal failures I have seen over the years there is no way in [email protected]!! I would drive a vehicle with that cobbled mess on it I dont care if it hurts feelings or not its an accident waiting to happen the stress of cornering forces of a 3200 LB. vehicle far exceed that setup. I know someone will chime in with so and so has had that set up for umpteen years and never had a problem with it, to that I say its like Russian Roulette it may never happen but chances are better that it will and the results wont be pretty. If ya want to stick your nose in the air do it the right and safe way and put a straight axle in it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Actually it doesn't really matter if that hose is exactly the right length ,
because when that cobbled up spindle breaks it will tear the hose away
instantly and then you will have zero brakes as well as zero steering ???

Have a good day esse' : )

easyways
I appreciate your concern and for the safety of myself and others I share the road with:p3:. ....have you had experience with these breaking? Also at which point , the grafting, the knuckle, ball joints?.....the welds have been x-rayed and my spindles are only designed for a 3 1/2 " lift. I do not plan on hard wheelstanding launches but I agree, tinkering with suspension parts can be dangerous. The car will eventually receive a chrome moly straight axle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ChevyGasserMadness, I made a set of 3" lift spindles. A whole bunch of planning and trial and error with a mock-up until I finally got to the point where I was ready to make them. I am very happy with the result and obviously I did not want to risk hurting anyone out there with my fabrication if things went awry. One note I wanted to caution you on, and perhaps I misinterpreted your first post, do not use a mig welder. In order to get the penetration of both pieces of spindle you have to use a GOOD stick welder. I used a 7018 rod and it really burned in nicely. I have the box around here that my new brake hoses came in and I will see if I can find it and get you that part number for the longer hoses. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Easyways, the beauty of this forum idea is for everyone to share their thoughts, experiences, knowledge, as well as doubts to some of the ideas put forth here. You expressed your thoughts as to your 2cents worth and that is exactly the way this forum should work. It gives all of us a chance to step back from what we are trying to do and re-survey the whole process-----knee jerk reactions can have a lot of consequences. In the name of safety, I am comfortable with the changes I made in my suspension and I do like the "Old School Gasser Look" that I came up with, but that is just me and my taste. I just wanted to let you know that I did not feel offended with your opinion and I DO APPRECIATE your input on the subject. One other thing, "Thank You" for your years of service protecting the public as a Highway Patrolman, I can imagine you got very few pats on the back while performing your duties.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Easyways.........I too would like to thank you for your public service and risking your life protecting and upholding the law during your career. My father was a Baltimore City Police Officer and my son just got accepted to the Maryland State Police.......out of 2500 applicants he was one of 50 selected to serve........we as a family have a respect for civil obedience. In regard to the spindles.....I have to agree the ones pictured look a bit scary.....I should post a picture of mine to add to the thread. As was said all opinions on these forums are welcome and appreciated, it is a good thing, as once the members start chiming in with helpful comments it opens eyes to innovation and ideas. And yes we all as hot rodders need to keep safety in mind. I have worked in the automotive industry for many years and with class A CDLs I have worked as a trainer /driver instructor for my company also, always trying to stress safety on the road. Thanks again for your input and service, God Bless.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Easyways, My second oldest son is now in Afghanistan serving in the Army....... when in the states people often express thanks for his service....it makes one feel proud of what this country stands for and to see your son wearing the uniform with his head held high is a good feeling as a Dad. Thanks for your comments:tu

1 - 20 of 47 Posts