Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of a crossflow radiator that is stock replacement size?...was shocked to see one installed on a 56 at a car show but cannot find part number or manufacturer. Looked great and size was 23.5" wide tab to tab to fit in factory core support. here ar pics of it... If anyone knows about this product pls let me know thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
Ya I like that too hope to see if any one has info on that, would like the info myself if ya get anything Midnightrider, thanks Glenn

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
BeCool sells one.

I think PRC can custom build one.

Griffin sells one.

There are others, that's just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct me if I'm wrong Rick but Both Be Cool and Griffin sell downflows only to fit in factory core support, their crossflows for tri-five are like most others coming in at between 32 and 35" wide, factory mounts are only 23.5" wide so those are significantly larger and change the look of the front of the engine compartment, which I'm trying to avoid. I just noticed Mattson's Radiators banner ad on this site, they claim they have a bolt-in crossflow so I will call them tmro.

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
My apologies, I guess I hadn't had enough coffee this morning. I was thinking aluminum downflow for some reason.

PRC does make one in the bigger size you mention that bolts to a stock radiator support. I know several people that use it, it works very well.

It is not strictly a bolt in. You have to drill 4 holes in the saddle for the mounts. If you have a 6 cylinder radiator support, you'll have to cut off the old radiator mounting flanges because it mounts in front of the support. If you have a V8 radiator support, the old radiator mounting flanges will just be hanging it more or less in the way, and they can be removed. You will also have to cut some holes in the filler panels for the hoses to pass through.

Now you say, this thing has a 27" core and there's only a 23-1/2" opening. True. You aren't getting optimum air flow through those two 1-3/4" strips at the outside, but you do get some. A dual 11" Spal fan will fit in the 23-1/2" opening.

At one time I thought that having a 27" opening in the radiator support would be a good thing. So I modified my radiator support to do that, and ordered a custom PRC with my style of brackets. After building my fan support (I used fans from a Gen 4 Camaro, dual 11", I realized that though I had widened the radiator support, my fan support narrowed the air opening right back down. I still like what I did, even if I didn't have to.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,729 Posts
If you have a V8 radiator support, the old radiator mounting flanges will just be hanging it more or less in the way, and they can be removed. .
I should think the V8 flanges could be used for mounting a shroud or electric fans.

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
Here's something to think about.

A crossflow radiator that "fits in the hole" will have a smaller core than a downflow radiator that "fits in the hole", i.e., an original style radiator.

On the other hand, a crossflow radiator that fits the saddle but has the tanks outside the original mounting flanges can have a bigger core than the original downflow radiator.

Maybe you could comment on what you're trying to achieve and why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TriFive Crossflow Radiator

Those photos are from a 56 Chevy. The radiator was purchased in 2005 at Carlisle,PA and was made by AFCO but it isn't offered anymore. I contacted AFCO quite ahwile ago and was told they still had the plans and could build it for about $700.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know of a crossflow radiator that is stock replacement size?...was shocked to see one installed on a 56 at a car show but cannot find part number or manufacturer. Looked great and size was 23.5" wide tab to tab to fit in factory core support. here ar pics of it... If anyone knows about this product pls let me know thx!
It was made by AFCO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts