Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I dicided to end my cooling problems for my big block chevy in my 55 . I had a 1/2 inch 4 core radiator with 2 10" push fans with a small mechanical fan on the in side and would heat up to 205 on a hot day. Then I bought a 16" 1600 cfm puller and put it on the inside and removed the 2 pushers on the out side and still my temp got up to 200 on a cool day in stop and go traffic. So I finally decided and bought a 36" crossflow 2 core 1" and a 1/4 tube alumin radiator with a custom schroud with 2 11" puller fans each at 1300 cfm. I think this will take care of my cooling when I am stuck in stop and go traffic. I have a 180 degree thermostat with distilled water and some anti-freeze. If I can keep my temp at 190 degrees no matter if I am moving or in stop and go traffic I will be happy. Any suggestions will be helpfull, it is a 427 1969 with a mild cam and runs on pump gas 91 octane .

7,080 Posts
Sounds really good. Am learning, don't know enough to suggest, but please post the results of your change when you have tried it in HOT weather and stop and go traffic. Thanks Regards Lloyd

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
The crossflow should take care of it. The PRC radiator that many of us use is that size, it will cool a BBC just fine. Usually dual 11" or bigger fans are used with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CROSSFLOW

Thanks for the input and support , I think it will solve my cooling situation , will post after I install the unit

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
IMO, there isn't anything wrong with 205 deg. on a hot day in traffic. Heck, really, there isn't anything wrong with 220 deg. tops on a hot day (like 105 to 110) and in traffic.

If you can keep a car at 200 or under during these hot Texas summers with the a/c on, you've got an excellent cooling system. I sure wouldn't complain about 205.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO, there isn't anything wrong with 205 deg. on a hot day in traffic. Heck, really, there isn't anything wrong with 220 deg. tops on a hot day (like 105 to 110) and in traffic.

If you can keep a car at 200 or under during these hot Texas summers with the a/c on, you've got an excellent cooling system. I sure wouldn't complain about 205.
I agree! Also, during the hot summer months it wouldn't hurt to throw in a 160degree thermostat...certainly would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts