Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crossmember for 55 bel air? HELP PLEASE

Ok, hopefully I'm typing this in the right location on the site! I apologize if not 馃槱 It's been awhile since I've been here. I was wondering if someone could help me out 馃檹? Ok so I've got my 235 up and running and my automatic power glide tranny in my car finally! 馃憤 I must have only started the car up and drove up and down the drive way( 10-15 ft) about 6 times, when I realized my brand new transmission mounts are ripping? Yes both of them are just tearing and when I put the car in drive I can feel the tranny move a lot!!! So... With that said I've purchased a crossmember and mount from southwest speed! The polyurethane mount bracket holes are way off from my tranny holes ???? I called him and he said he has no clue and that it should work? The holes from center on my tranny are 2 3/4. The holes on this polyurethane mount are 4"?
He said he doesn't have a clue and wouldn't have anything that would work but would refund money on mount! Where should I look for a mount that's correct?
Any information or help is greatly appreciated!!! I can't wait to drive this car!!! She hasn't seen the road in 40years

Premium Member
Ok, hopefully I'm typing this in the right location on the site! I apologize if not 馃槱 It's been awhile since I've been here. I was wondering if someone could help me out 馃檹? Ok so I've got my 235 up and running and my automatic power glide tranny in my car finally! 馃憤 I must have only started the car up and drove up and down the drive way( 10-15 ft) about 6 times, when I realized my brand new transmission mounts are ripping? Yes both of them are just tearing and when I put the car in drive I can feel the tranny move a lot!!! So... With that said I've purchased a crossmember and mount from southwest speed! The polyurethane mount bracket holes are way off from my tranny holes ???? I called him and he said he has no clue and that it should work? The holes from center on my tranny are 2 3/4. The holes on this polyurethane mount are 4"?
He said he doesn't have a clue and wouldn't have anything that would work but would refund money on mount! Where should I look for a mount that's correct?
Any information or help is greatly appreciated!!! I can't wait to drive this car!!! She hasn't seen the road in 40years
It's hard to picture what you have happening. Do you have a couple of pictures you could post?

Administrator
Are you sure that you have mounted the mounts correct as there is two positions one for the V8 and the other for the I6.

Also make sure you have the front engine mounts in the correct holes

Registered
Those traany mounts have ears to bolt on to the cars frame No place for tranny mount w/o mods. Mike

Registered
should have frame horns in the area needed (unless they were removed). :anim_25:

Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
.......... when I realized my brand new transmission mounts are ripping? Yes both of them are just tearing and when I put the car in drive I can feel the tranny move a lot!!!
Where did you get the transmission mounts? If you got NOS rubber mounts, they were deterioated before you installed them. Rubber just won't last that long, even sitting on a shelf.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will post some pictures tonight when I get to my laptop, maybe I have mounted them incorrectly!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About pics?

Anyone know how to upload from phone? I can't seem to get pics to download to laptop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes my frame has the ears out for the tranny mounts! I may have them mounted incorrectly but not sure how to get pics in the post yet....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure that you have mounted the mounts correct as there is two positions one for the V8 and the other for the I6.

Also make sure you have the front engine mounts in the correct holes

Angs, that I'm not positive on! Mine look like the pics you've posted I believe except the bolts are in reversed on mine!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did you get the transmission mounts? If you got NOS rubber mounts, they were deterioated before you installed them. Rubber just won't last that long, even sitting on a shelf.
I believe I got the mounts ordered in from advanced auto parts!!! ( not positive on that) being that I have ordered soooo many parts so far haha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts