Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 1956 nomad and a Bel Air Sports Coupe a few months ago and was looking for some expertise infiguring out the codes.

The Nomad has the VIN and the Cowl Tag. The VIN indicates it is a VC56 from Oakland (I bought it in Salinas, CA) and it was the 031196 chevy off the line. The cowl tag looks like it is original to the car with the correct style no: 56-1064DF but the body no: says it is from Cleveland (CL 3645). Trim is 611 and Paint is 721 (Ivory/Dawn Gray) with EZI glass. Does this mean that the body was made in Clevland and assembled in Oakland?

The Bel Air Sport Coupe is an interesting one. There is no cowl tag but I know from the VIN that it is a VC56 from Norwood and with a number of 2001 makes it the 1000th chevy produced (probably the 1-2 week of Oct 55). I am trying to determine what body number it would be. I know it is a 56-1037D, the Trim is 607 and the paint is 707D (Ivory /Nassau Blue) also with EZI.

I'm thinking that the Body No: could probably fall in the 80-110 range. Any Ideas? Im going to have a cowl tag made so I want it to be fairly accurate.:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Chiller,

All the Nomad bodies were built at the Cleveland Fisher Body Plant then shipped around the country for final assembly.

I will check to see if I have any examples of Norwood hardtops with early numbers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I only have three samples of Norwood hardtop tag numbers. By converting the body number to a percentage of production (VIN less 1,000) this is what I have.

Early November - 11.2%
Mid April - 8.5%
Late August - 8.3%

I'm sure you would be very close if you chose a number at the higher end of your range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John, I really appreciate the sanity check. I found a really good document on the internet that a little over 2000 cars were built in the Norwood plant in Oct 55 but I've lost the link. I think I'll call it a top 100 and go from there.

Roger :blowtiedb:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would say your car was definitely assembled within the first week of production. I don't know what the first day of production was, but they were putting out around 500 cars a day with a six day work week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts