Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...need to see if anyone might have an answer.This was the second trip I took about 125-130 round trip and used almost a half a tank one way.Average speed was 45-55 most of the way.Engine itself ran good.Am running 600cfm in a 350 small block 4bble.It's an elebrock carb 900rpm in idle 650rpm running.Only thing I can think of is that it's running to rich.Have the screws at around 2-1/2 turned out.Had to put on a regulator last year and pressure is at 3lbs.I do have a 500cfm that was rebuilt last and thinking of swapping it and see if that helps.Also using 89 grade fuel. any tips??
Thanks Terry

·
Registered
646 Posts
First off I don't thinnk I'd be running regular gas. Secondly 2 1/2 turns out soulnds like it might be to rich and where is your timing set? You may also have the wrong step up springs in the carb resulting in a rich burn( springs too long) and finally if the acc. pump linkage isn't in the center hole, try putting it there. I'm running 2 500 Edelbrocks on mine with a tunnelram with a Muncie M-22 with 4:10 gears and easy running I average 16-17 mpg. It can take time to nail them in so be patient and let us know how you make out. Good luck

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hey guys...need to see if anyone might have an answer.This was the second trip I took about 125-130 round trip and used almost a half a tank one way.Average speed was 45-55 most of the way.Engine itself ran good.Am running 600cfm in a 350 small block 4bble.It's an elebrock carb 900rpm in idle 650rpm running.Only thing I can think of is that it's running to rich.Have the screws at around 2-1/2 turned out.Had to put on a regulator last year and pressure is at 3lbs.I do have a 500cfm that was rebuilt last and thinking of swapping it and see if that helps.Also using 89 grade fuel. any tips??
Thanks Terry
Terry

125 to 130 miles on a 1/2 tank of gas :happy0030: Id be thrilled if I got that , Im gettn 8 miles a gal now, gettn better tho
1/2 tank is around 7.5 gallons ?
130 divide by 7.5 equals 17.33
125 divide by 7.5 equals 16.33
this is good mileage I think, with 2.5 idlers out your running a tad rich on idler circuit tho

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy ment to say about 130 on a full tank which comes out like yours about 6 miles per gallon.It's running 600 cfm elderbrock turned my screws down to 1-1/2 turns and my regulater down to 3lbs. ass pump is in the center.Have been running reg gas lately will have to move up a grade or two. taking another small trip tommorrow so will see. when I took a quick ride seemed to run better.I did have a 500cfm and got great gas

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well took her out for about a 50 mile run and was so much better.Took the screws down to 1-1/2 turns dropped the gas presure from around 4lbs to 2. also drooped my idle down from 950 to 750 in park and ran about 550 in gear.Timming is about 8 but seems to run better used not quite 1/8 of a tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts