Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I'm getting back in the Trifive Chevy game after a short
break. I sold off both of my 57 BelAir hardtops (one a competed restoration and the other a project car) when I fell on hard times about a year after the
economy tanked.

Not that things are much better these days but I have finally sold off some newer vehicles, an RV and some smaller stuff. So I finally have enough cash put together to buy another Trifive.

My question is, how is the old car market these days especially for the 55-57
Chevys. It was a tough market when a sold both my BelAirs about a year or so ago but it doesn't seem like the prices are much different than they were
back then. At least it seems most everyones asking prices still seem pretty
high.

I do remember having to keep dropping the price on my restored 57 from $35K
down to $28K to get any action on it. And it was still a lengthy sell time at that.

Whats everyones take---is it still a buyers market or has it come back any.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
In my opinion it's still a buyers market... Later, Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree buyers market for sure. There are dozens and dozens of TriFives for sale right now if not hundreds. Quality is still quality however and cost depending on the degree of it you will have to have. The ridiculous priced cars are still Ridiculous, but the mid range cars are were the real bargins are to be found. In the price range of $14,000 to say $30,000 there are some real deals out there right now. You can pay your price if you are willing to wait for that right car and that right number.

Roland

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I never noticed it becoming much of a buyer's market as far as asking prices, especially considering how badly the economy tanked.

But whatever that effect was, there has been little change since then.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It's a buyers market IF you have cash in hand. Asking prices seem steady yet they are just that, many sellers get to the point where they are desperate to sell and are at the point where they are more than willing to negotiate often for far less than their original asking/selling price...just takes research and patientence on the buyers part. A guy here had a '32 hi-boy roadster built for him by Windsor Streetrods a few years ago, he had it for sale in the high $50's for more than a year after he lost his job. A friend of a friend of mine had been looking for a '32 hi-boy and had been watching this car, in mid-Aug he made an offer and bought the hi-boy in the low $30's...and well worth the price. I understand the original owner had nearly $70k in the build. As the saying goes "money talks...."

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I guess I don't consider it a true buyer's market if I have to research, negotiate, wait somebody out, etc. That's what you have to do in a seller's market. To me, a "buyer's market" is when the good deals are advertised or they come to me.

Maybe others think of it differently.

Seems to me that a guy that prices his stuff in the $50s, it doesn't sell for a year, then he sells in the $30s hasn't done his homework, wasn't doing what it takes to sell - then got real impatient.

68,758 Posts
see alot of good deals out there. wish i had the $$$$$ to get some more. maybe better i don't have the $$$$$, the wife would go nuts. :stupido2:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
When it comes to "toys" a lot of people have sunk a lot of money into them and are hoping to get a good portion of their money out of them...then when they lose their jobs, no income, they often start to get in very desperate financial straits...and if you have the funds in hand you can buy low. As for the original owner of the hi-boy, he had advertised it in magazines(Street Rod , GoodGuys), newspapers, at car shows and on websites, it was even on E-bay a couple of times. I believe he was just desperate enough to sell that the guy that had the cash money in hand got a great buy.
My personal opinion is an asking price or advertised price is just that...another words a starting point, when it comes to "toys" it is often a crap shoot at times, other times if you research you know what the market is and if you are patient you can often buy way under market from the right(read desperate) seller just the "toy" you want. Like I said that is my opinion and a philosophy I've used whether buying "toys", real estate or new vechicles, if I can't get it at what I consider a fair price then I walk...as for vechicles we've not financed a new vehicle in over 25 years. Each to their own I guess:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see a lot of cars for sale that have been for sale for a long time. The sellers are unrealistic and think because they turned down a pretty darn good offer a few years ago the car is worth more now. I bought my 57 sport sedan a couple of weeks ago for $6500.00, he started talking to me about 2 years ago asking $12,000.00. It ain't great, it's a fairly nice looking old driver with some rust underneath. I love it.

·
12,256 Posts
You could argue that it's a buyer's market because it's pretty clear that car prices have come down a lot, perhaps 50%, since about 3 years ago. But you could also argue that those prices 3 years ago were hyper-inflated. So maybe it's a buyer's market, if you believe prices will go back up. I do.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you don't think it is a buyers market just watch some of the auctions, Russo-Steele or BJ for example, the cars sold are way below the price they commanded 2-3+ yrs ago. BJ Vegas last weekend was a prime example, granted these were high end cars on TV yet still the prices brought for a large percentage of them were as they say on TV "well bought":)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks again for all the advice.

I also thought it was still a buyers market as well but I've been getting mixed signals from some sellers I've contacted. But then maybe these particular sellers might not have been whats termed "motivated sellers."

These sellers all had nice cars (not show quality but very nice drivers) that were lightly modified (not LT-1 or LS-1) just carburated small block
cars. They were asking mid 30's ($33-35K) and when I made offers ranging from $27-30K these sellers acted like I had insulted both them and thier mothers.

I'm an older guy who has been buying and selling cars for six decades. I was
very diplomatic and polite in making the offers. So I was just kind of surprised by the responses of those sellers.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I agree that prices have softened... and I also think they got hyper-inflated with too many guys thinking they were on a BJ auction. This said, the cost to build both in materials and labor certainly has not gone down. In most cases a nice car can be had for less $$ than it would cost to build it. Also "true quality" will still demand top dollar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts