Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, Ive been looking at the commercially available custom radiator frames, and I can't see paying that kind of money, for what you get. I'm going with a cross flow design, and if I recall what fits is 16" X 33". What about using the stock radiator frame, and boring holes in the side panels, for the hose inlet and outlet ? Then custom make the mounts to hold the radiator.

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
Often thought of that myself Auggie....Seperate the upper crossbar from the U...Then fabricate what you need from there.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
I built my own core support out of square tubeing and some prebent conduit, using the original filler panels.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Great Job Don.:tu:tu
There you go Auggie.:party0031:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I made this support using the standard top bar which is now a bolt in to suit an aluminium cross flow. Fans are both 14 inch and my blown small block is subsequently "overheat proof" Also had to make my own narrower side panels to suit.

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
Mine is similar to the others, with a couple of different details. The brackets on mine are .080" aluminum angle, mounting bolts go through new wider spaced vertical tubes. The big holes in the tubes are for the grommet style mounts that streetrodstuff.com sells. The inlet and outlet are just inboard of the vertical tubes. The fans are from 97 Camaro/Firebird and are mounted to a .062" stainless steel sheet, which also has holes for the inlet/outlet. The Camaro's plastic fan mount was cut up to suit. In this photo the plastic that came on the SS sheet is still there except where I cut holes.

You can order a PRC radiator with brackets to fit the outside of the stock cradle. You just need to cut slots for the brackets in the filler panels and holes for the inlet/outlet. That's the very easiest way.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Don, Rick, Tim,

All 3 of you guys did a darn beautiful job on your supports! I really commend you guys for your effort and detail. I'm just too lazy to do what you have done.

I've pretty much decided to go with the AutoRad unit:

AutoRad gets $550 for their support alone. It could be that I'm actually getting it less than that by getting their entire package with the radiator, shroud and fans. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I figure the net cost on this support to me is $400 since I think I can get about $150 for my nice original V8 support on ebay. I don't think $400 is too bad. I like the fact that it is aluminum and will be light.

·
12,256 Posts
I built a custom radiator support that's dropped about 2" so the engine shows better and houses dual 12" Derale fans (4000 CFM). Also using a custom PRC radiator built to my specs.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lazlo and Rick you both do nice work. And Rick, what is the dimension of your radiator ? I mentioned 16"x33" earlier, is that about the max that will fit ?

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
Yes, 16" x 33" is the usual size. With the brackets, that makes mine 36". Notice the small notches at the botttom of the vertical tubes on my support. It's right at 36" across at the bottom on a 55, and it's going to be close to that or the same on a 56 or 57 too. My support is also 36", the notches at the bottom let it clear the innner fender.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts