Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling on all experienced painters..... Last night i masked off my dash area. After several coats of primer, sanding up to 600 grit, it looked ready for some paint, oh and the last coat was a primer sealer, then a light scuff and i set up for the next paint step.

I seem to have perfected the art of painting orange peel... It just comes natural to me.... I didnt worry too much during the priming because i knew I'd be sanding it anyway, but was really hoping for as smooth a laydown of the paint.

I painted three coats of dupont Centari pitch black, single stage acrylic enamal. I started with a dusting coat , let that sit for 8 to ten minutes, then layed down covering coats... 10 minutes between each coat.

Now for the questions..... I was able to squirt not a bad coat according to my standards, but it has orange peel for sure..... Is that normal?... Do i get rid or the orange peel by sanding with 1500 and 2000 and then buffing and polishing?... How long do i need to wait before it can be sanded?... And if i decide to paint a clear over top, how long do i need to wait to do that?
The guy at the paint store said if it was a single stage urethane the. I needed to wait 30 days.... Is acrylic enamal the same waiting period?

Thanks in advance
Gil

·
Premium Member
15,901 Posts
Calling on all experienced painters..... Last night i masked off my dash area. After several coats of primer, sanding up to 600 grit, it looked ready for some paint, oh and the last coat was a primer sealer, then a light scuff and i set up for the next paint step.

I seem to have perfected the art of painting orange peel... It just comes natural to me.... I didnt worry too much during the priming because i knew I'd be sanding it anyway, but was really hoping for as smooth a laydown of the paint.

I painted three coats of dupont Centari pitch black, single stage acrylic enamal. I started with a dusting coat , let that sit for 8 to ten minutes, then layed down covering coats... 10 minutes between each coat.

Now for the questions..... I was able to squirt not a bad coat according to my standards, but it has orange peel for sure..... Is that normal?... Do i get rid or the orange peel by sanding with 1500 and 2000 and then buffing and polishing?... How long do i need to wait before it can be sanded?... And if i decide to paint a clear over top, how long do i need to wait to do that?
The guy at the paint store said if it was a single stage urethane the. I needed to wait 30 days.... Is acrylic enamal the same waiting period?

Thanks in advance
Gil
Did you use any hardener in the acrylic enamel?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, hardener and reducer in the 4-1-1 ratio.... As indicated on the can....
Gil

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
You can try, but on a dash it's going to be easy to cut through the whole paint layer on the edges and corners.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
You need to wait before taking the paint back down. Try a finger nail test...if your finger nail leaves an impression in the paint after applying medium pressure...it's too soft.

Main reason for orange peel is RH. Need to have a dry day or location. Don't paint if its raining out...may blush too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you have to put down a full first coat! when you put down a light first coat you have set the pattern for the following coats .

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
One other piece of advise...since its a small area, a work light may be enough to heat and dry the paint if you can secure the lamp over the dash. Doesn't need to get hot...warm (100f) is good:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I am off to scout camp for the week tomorrow, the paint should be good and hard by the time i get back next weekend, i will check it the. With the fingernail test..... I'm not trying to go crazy on it, the dash trim covers about a third and its the top that I'm most interested in.

I'll give it a try and if it looks good .... Then I'll post some pics.... There are way too many guys on here that would laugh otherwise..... All i can say is ... I did it, sometimes thats a good thing and sometimes .....well......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts