Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just converted the wifes car over to power rack/pinion and power discs.Ordered a set of 18" Billet Specialties Fastlane wheels for it while at the Goodguys event in Des Moines this weekend.The next mission is to get the front end of the car out of the clouds....it is nose-bleed high.My first thought was 2" dropped spindles....Nearly all of the guys driving lowered tri-fives at the show,however,simply cut a coil and a half or two coils off the original springs.Since the spindles on the car are virtually new,I am thinking this may be an option for me as well.Good or bad idea?? My concern with doing this is the shocks.Almost everyone I talked to at the show had no idea what size shocks they had used to replace the originals or didn't know if the originals had even been replaced.I may be over-thinking this but it seems to me that cutting a couple of coils off the springs would leave the original length shocks very suseptible to bottoming out??I would appreciate any comments,tips,suggestions....Thanks in advance!

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I cut one coil. No change on the shocks. It is better if you remave about half of the rubber stop on the lower control arm to keep it from bottoming out. One coil dropped it 2 inches.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
10,931 Posts
I used a 2" drop spindle and 1" drop spring to get the ride height that I wanted. I believe that many tri-five suppliers market the 1" drop spring as well as the spindle set-up.

My personal experience with cutting coils was a very stiff ride; something that my old age won't accept. Haha.

That's my 2 cents.

Ray

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
I had a spring shop install a new set of springs with one coil cut, that was 16 years ago. The car has settled a bit over the years and is just a touch lower, as far as the ride is concerned I haven't noticed a great difference. I would think the 18" wheels and rubber band tires will make the ride a little harsher than the springs will.

Wedwagon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts