Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have concerns installing the temp and oil sensors that came with my Dakota Digital kit since my TPI engine's ecm uses its stock sensors. You are supposed to remove the stock sensors and use the ones that came in the kit, but then the TPI engine's ecm won't have oil and engine temp inputs. In addition to this, my electric fans work because of the stock temp sending unit. I have utilized the stock harness for the TPI engine.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I put an additional temp sensor for the DD guages and replaced the stock oil sensor with the DD. No oil signal to the ecm. Ls2 engine.
Jim

·
Administrator
49,707 Posts
I have a TBI engine and DD too. The TBI won`t start without the oil sender telling the ECM it has oil pressure, so i installed a second one for the gauges using the hole over the oil filter on my 1991 5.7 engine. On my temp gauge the one in the intake is still hooked to the ECM and i installed a second one for the gauges in the driver side head.
Terry

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Chevyman and Jim. I now need to find out all of the possible oil and coolant ports on my engine that I can use to install the Dakota Digital sensors.
My engine is a 1989 305 v8. When reading the instructions for Dakota Digital, it says to NOT to use the heads to install the coolant temp sensor due to inaccurate reads from excessive heat off the exhuast manifolds.

My concerns now are that:

1)The instructions say to install the coolant temp sender into either:

(a) the engine block (not the heads) or

(b)the intake manifold (the coolant temp sender is not to be installed in the heads because of incorrect readings caused by the excessive heat of the exhaust manifolds according to instructions).
So what I want to know is where are all the possible coolant ports on this engine that have a plug I can remove to install the coolant sensor.

2)Thread sealant (Teflon tape, putty) is not to be used on either of these sensors (coolant temperature or oil pressure). In my experience I have had leaks on another engine from an oil pressure port (by the distributor) when a sealant was not used. The guage was mechanical so electrical conductivity was not an issue.

3)Where are all the other oil ports on this engine? I can not access the oil pressure port behind the distributor (let alone I really don't know if this generation of small block chevy engine has an oil pressure port back there).

4) Also, is there a was to find out is the sensors by chance are the exact same so that maybe I could just tap into the existing wires from the existing stock sensors.
I have found out that:

(a) my stock coolant temp sensor is 1356 ohms at 100 degrees Farenheit/38 degrees celcius and 55 ohms at 260 degrees Farenheit/ 127 degrees celcius.

(b)my stock oil pressure sensor is 90 ohms at max pressure (factory service manual doesn't say what max pressure is, just literally says max pressure) and 0 ohms at 0 pressure.

(c) my Dakota Digital oil pressure sensor has the following information stamped on it:
0-5 Bar, 7.08, 29/4,

(d) My Dakota Digital Coolant temp sensor has the following information stamped on it (really hard for my eyes to read, some might be incorrect):
VDO, czech republic, 150 degrees celcius, 10.08, 801/9/1

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I have a TBI engine and DD too. The TBI won`t start without the oil sender telling the ECM it has oil pressure,

So does it crank for a while building oil pressure before it starts? Bet you can delete that.
Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I inspected the engine for any and all possible unused ports and only found one unused coolant port (I was surprised to see that this harness used both coolant ports on each head and in addition also had coolant ports on the intake and one more on the passenger side of the block in use).The unused coolant port was on the driver side of the block. So now I only need to find an oil pressure port. I looked for the one behind the distributor and found that it is already in use by a stock oil pressure sensor that is the size of the Dakota Digital one (about 2" in diameter and about 2" long). So I don't think that I can fit both of these back there with a T fitting. I checked around the oil filter and saw that there is a slim oil pressure sensor already in use in that port as well. This is interesting to me that both of the oil ports I know of are in use by the stock ecm. Unless one these is just used by the stock guages (and has no signal sent to the ecm for an algorithm) I will have to keep both of them. I didn't think there is any room for the T fitting above the oil filter port to install both sensors there. If anyone knows of another oil pressure port or solution, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put an additional temp sensor for the DD guages and replaced the stock oil sensor with the DD. No oil signal to the ecm. Ls2 engine.
Jim
I was curious if the TBI engine used an oil pressure sensor for both locations (port by the distributor and the oil filter). If so, How did you determine that one of the sensors was for the soley for the ecm and the other for the dash guages (I am assuming this since someone else mentioned to me the possibility of the ecm not using both sensors). I figure if I can determine which oil pressure sensor is soley for the camaro dash guages, then I simply need to replace it with the Dakota Digital oil pressure sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts