Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,044 Posts
Yes they did it for Jr but it is actually a contest give away car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
i thought it was pretty cool! might have to watch it a few more times. anyone who noticed them "straightening" the liftgate, they should have mentioned "don't try this at home" before they did it. I was cringing :hmmmm2:

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Liftgate

i thought it was pretty cool! might have to watch it a few more times. anyone who noticed them "straightening" the liftgate, they should have mentioned "don't try this at home" before they did it. I was cringing :hmmmm2:
That scene served to remind me of how glad I am that I had mine fixed by MadMooks! Let's hope some poor chump out there somewhere isn't inspired to attempt the TV fix.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That scene served to remind me of how glad I am that I had mine fixed by MadMooks! Let's hope some poor chump out there somewhere isn't inspired to attempt the TV fix.

I would bet there has been more body panels, window frames and doors adjusted with a 2x4 peace of wood than any other commercial tool available.

If you think MadMooks doesn't have a couple over in the corner your kidding yourself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Heard about the episode for a while now. wasn't impressed with the work too much. but i didn't expect a A+ build from fast n loud the specialty in the shop tends to be quick flipping not so much a restorations shop

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
anyone who noticed them "straightening" the liftgate, they should have mentioned "don't try this at home" before they did it. I was cringing
I wondered what your reactioin would be when I saw that stunt. :sign0020:

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
very nice build. I thought it cost $75,000 to build and the shop made $26,000 on the job. :confused0024:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I wondered what your reactioin would be when I saw that stunt. :sign0020:
they didn't show too much of the straightening process, or the final results. it looked to be a decent job, but just because a liftgate fits a car, doesn't mean its been straightened. I think what had me cringing is not so much the tools that they used but the fact that they were twisting it without heat. if you aren't careful, the brittle potmetal can actually snap. don't ask how I know this.

I actually have a jig I made and straighten with clamps and heat. its taken years of doing these things to really get dialed in. definitely an art at this point.

when the body rolled out of the paint booth, the colors looked a little extreme, wasn't sure if I liked it. its amazing how cool these cars transform when you put on all that trim

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
they didn't show too much of the straightening process, or the final results. it looked to be a decent job, but just because a liftgate fits a car, doesn't mean its been straightened. I think what had me cringing is not so much the tools that they used but the fact that they were twisting it without heat. if you aren't careful, the brittle potmetal can actually snap. don't ask how I know this.

I actually have a jig I made and straighten with clamps and heat. its taken years of doing these things to really get dialed in. definitely an art at this point.

I know where you keep that stash of wood brocks and boards over there in the dark corner. :sign0020:

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
I have to wonder if there wasn't more work done than they showed. We know that the stainless and bumpers were better than they showed. Perhaps more things.

It wouldn't surprise me that the work was really done by a different shop (real one). On a real schedule of course.

What's odd is that it's usually the other way around.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes they did it for Jr but it is actually a contest give away car.
Maybe a member of bowtie-trifive will win it, how cool that would be!!!!!!!! I'm with Rick L, I think there was more going on behind the scenes. Isn't 26K to cheap for a Nomad?????

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I know these guys are in it for a profit but i thought it was tacky to brag a bout the profit margin. They could have stepped it up in the interior department and still turned a profit. It was for Junior for God's sake!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,044 Posts
I know these guys are in it for a profit but i thought it was tacky to brag a bout the profit margin. They could have stepped it up in the interior department and still turned a profit. It was for Junior for God's sake!!!!
Jon it was not really for junior, it is actually a mtn dew give away car. building it for jr was just a gimick to get us to watch the show. and yess the whole car could have been done much better.also do you think jr would have been happy with a lazy zz4 stock motor? probably not!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts