Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I had to replace my fuel sending unit due to a cracked float.....I understand this is a common problem that is "fixed" by replacing it with a Ford float.....This has been a known problem with repo sending units for quite some time now.....WHY!

Another problem is with the rubber gasket that is supplied with the unit.....This is also a known problem and needs to be addressed....Why not include the cork gasket that we all have to go out and buy from a seperate source?

IMHO Danchuk is supposed to be the leader in TriFive Chevy repo parts....Why not fulfill that image by being the first to address the issues with the fuel senders?

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
Wholeheartedly Agree with ya there Pops !

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,611 Posts
I hope so, but doubt it very much. The cork is so much better than the rubber one, seems irresponsible to sell the rubber one at all.

Randy

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I've walked down this road before to no avail, here on these very pages.

They had the nerve to deny the problem. And probably will again.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Yup, You know what they say, "Wish in one hand and:toilet:in the other hand then see which hand fills up first" :anim_25:with that happening... Later, Dave

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
This post started at friday 6:30 pm so don't expect an answer until monday guys.

I contacted Danchuk via email about this thread so hopefully we will get an answer. I also had a problem with the rubber gasket leaking.

otis:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quality will slowly destroy a business. By Monday there may be ove 100 posts about quality issues other than the float issues. Be intersting to see what happens....GKK

·
52,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This post started at friday 6:30 pm so don't expect an answer until monday guys....I contacted Danchuk via email about this thread so hopefully we will get an answer. I also had a problem with the rubber gasket leaking.....otis:)
Otis....I apologize for my timing on this post.....Please understand....I did not start this thread as a means of bashing Danchuk by any means.....I have great respect for them IRT what they have done for the TriFive community....At one time, they were just about the only place to go to get our parts.

My only hope is that they will acknowledge the problem and work with us to resolve this long-standing issue.

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
No problem Dave, I am sure that they will reply monday, I sent and email to Brian Danchuk, and Steve Brown.

They make alot of high quality parts and if their is an issue with a part , I am sure they will want to fix it.

Otis :)

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I just searched "sender" and got 420 hits on this site! Don't have time to look through them tonight but you get my drift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sometimes repro companies try so hard to be "correct" that they make the part exactly the same as the factory did. Even if that means the repro part is just as crappy as the factory part. Blame the judges at car shows that will take off 100 points just because you have a gasket that is different from the original one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I HAVE OWNED MY 55 FOR 41 years.. the last 2 years i bought new stuff from them.. The same issue here.. The crapy thing is the org stuff still worked great and no leaks!! the new tank and sending unit leak and well Its an outrage....
My org. headlight switch worked great and had a nice feel to it.. Had no issues other than a dimmer that was on or off.. Bought a new one from them.. Now The the lights go on and off.. same lights I have for years.. To bad I beleaved and threw all my Good old working bits away for this new made in USA crap thay sold me. I think its not made in the U.S.A. its made in usa..
Thay have done a lot for the comunity.. But it seems alot of things for our cars now days is second rate crap.

·
Registered
920 Posts
wow i guess i was lucky i just installed a new gas tank and sender from them and it been one month now and with a full tank of gas and its been great

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
"companies try so hard to be "correct" that they make the part exactly the same as the factory did."

In this case the recommended fix for the gasket (the one sold by Greg Coleman) is a GM part.

Likewise the original float on your sender probably has a longer life expectancy than the one on your repro sender.

So if these senders were faithfully reproduced instead of what they are, they'd be good.

The other thing about these is that the problem is not the sender itself, it's the gasket and float - separate parts that are in the "kit" - that are the problem.

Actually Danchuk does not manufacture the sender they sell - in this case they are just a reseller.

On the other hand, they do manufacture parts for our cars, and it wouldn't take much effort on their part to make this right.

·
52,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I bought mine through ECC....However, they all probably come from the same source....Has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
"
In this case the recommended fix for the gasket (the one sold by Greg Coleman) is a GM part.

Curiously, I reasearched the part number recieved from Greg for the rubberized cork gasket that Gregs sells, had the local GM dealer order same part number,,guess what I recieved??

The rubber gasket. LoL. Mr Coleman has the connections whereas I do not :)

Just guessing but that might explain the rubber gasket suppilied with the danchuk packaged sender,,but I could be wrong.

·
52,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes me wonder where Greg Coleman gets them from :confused0006:

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I think he has posted on Chevytalk that it's a GM part (he goes by "Coley" when he posts). You probably can get either gasket at the dealer, depending on which supplier GM used for that order. There also can be "good" rubber gaskets and "not so good" ones. The same is true for cork gaskets - examples are pan gaskets for automatic transmissions and valve cover gaskets - the good rubber ones are stiffer, and the good cork ones are rubber impregnated and are stiffer. The good ones hold their shape when you tighten the screws, the bad ones pooch out between the screws.

A similar situation exists for the Ford float p/n that's been posted as the fix for these senders. Sometimes you get a soldered brass float like the original, and sometimes you get a plastic foam float. Either one works.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts