Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any info out thare as to what bulbs go where? Someone removed all of them in my dash before I got the car ...and want to replace them all...kinda forget what numbers go where?? I believe most are 57`s....but sure there are some 53`s mixed in the bunch too??

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
You may want to consider upgrading to LED lamps. I did that and really like the results, much brighter, less current (AMPs) draw, (not that it's an issue with incandescent bulbs).

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts
You may want to consider upgrading to LED lamps. I did that and really like the results, much brighter, less current (AMPs) draw, (not that it's an issue with incandescent bulbs).
Where did you get yours at and are they dimmable?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the bulb chart Pops. I'm hoping this can help me cure the "rapid turn signal flash" I am experiencing. Replaced the flasher but did not cure the problem. The builder was certain that " a bulb is a bulb" but I think the front signal bulbs are wrong. His first idea was to use yellow, and he stated that was the factory bulb. Also stated all '57s had backup lights as standard equip. Wouldn't recommend this guy obviously.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry to say, I bought mine at a swap meet. I'm fairly sure that if search the Internet you'll find them very easily, just search the bulb number and include LED in the search. There is a note below about LED bulb color.

Note, LED lights need to put out the same color as the lens they're in. For example red taillight needs a red LED. If you don't match the color they will appear dimmer than the incondescent bulbs. I got green ones for the turn signals, excellent in the brightest sunlight. One more thing about the color, all the LEDs lenses on the bulbs I got are clear, the red and green bulbs, only look red and green when energized.
Yes they are dimmable, but not as much as the incondescents, but enough for night driving.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Speaking of LED's, if by chance you at some point change your turn signals to LED's, you will need an electronic flasher instead of the old school bi-metalic flasher. The LED's do not pull enough AMPs to heat up the bi-metalic spring/switch in the old style flashers. They're cheap and available at auto parts stores, well maybe, during my build I upgraded the wiring harness which uses today's standardflasher pins orientation, I don't not know if the Trifives were the same long ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking of LED's, if by chance you at some point change your turn signals to LED's, you will need an electronic flasher instead of the old school bi-metalic flasher. The LED's do not pull enough AMPs to heat up the bi-metalic spring/switch in the old style flashers. They're cheap and available at auto parts stores, well maybe, during my build I upgraded the wiring harness which uses today's standardflasher pins orientation, I don't not know if the Trifives were the same long ago.
This sounds the best route for the bulbs and wiring for our incoming '57 project. We'll take a look at her after we finished installing the suspension and moto metal rims plus alignment on the current Silverado project. Looking forward to your build and write up about the wiring harness upgrade.

·
Registered
364 Posts
While there are several options, I used American Autowire for my harness. I used their upgrade version as opposed to their original equipment kit. It was actually fairly easy to install and the instructions/diagrams were easy to follow. I did call them once with a question and their tech guy was good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
While there are several options, I used American Autowire for my harness. I used their upgrade version as opposed to their original equipment kit. It was actually fairly easy to install and the instructions/diagrams were easy to follow. I did call them once with a question and their tech guy was good!
Alright, will check that out as well. Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts