Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dash light wont turn on and i was wondering what i can check(other then the bulbs) to fix this. on a lighter note, i am getting better at guessing my speed at night:sign0020:

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you have the original headlight switch, that part of the switch can go bad. I have to turn mine back and forth to get the dash lights to finally come on.
Good luck.....Bill

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
From your profile, I assume you have a '56.....On a '56 there is a 3 Amp fuse, located in the rear, on bottom for the dash lights....If that is good, it could be the rheostat that controls the brightness of the lights....Pull the switch out to the first detent.....Then turn it CW and CCW to see if you can get the lights to turn on....If the dash lights still don't come on, check for +12V on the gray wire of the H/L switch, when you pull it to the first detent.

68,758 Posts
you can also get a new one for about $40. it does control the dash lights. :anim_25:

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tried turning the light switch, replaced the fuse and turned the switch some more and the light still wont come on. gonna remove the bezel tomorrow and check everything else

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Check to see if the fuse blew as soon as you turned the lights on after replaceing the fuse. If the fuse isn't blown, plug the gray-instrument wire into the open terminal next to the black-tail light wire on the switch and see if you don't have dash lights on, full bright.

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
after further inspection i found that the wire for the dash light(grey) wasnt hooked up in the worng place, and that another grey wire was hooked up there instead:confused0006:. I hooked up the dash wire where it should be but only the gear selector lights up, not the rest of the dash and im not sure if thats normal or not. What im also wondering is where that other wire goes to(it was with the cluster of wires that went to the light switch):confused0024:. i left it unhooked but all the lights still work.. hmmmm

·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looked at the wiring diagram and im not seeing where this other grey wire is coming from

·
27,084 Posts

·
27,084 Posts
Oops. my first post said there was an error.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts