Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on how to access the two, what I term "jack screws" that are on the top backside of the bezel and are there to pull the top part of the bezel up against the dash. I was able to remove the old bezel because the prior owner apparently had removed it when painting the car and although the jack screws were in place, they were not screwed down against the inside surface of the dash. But now that I am wanting to reassemble with a new bezel, it is not readily apparent to me how someone is able to get their hand up in there to access the screws. Trying to reach in and up from above doesn't seem to do it. Was wondering if removing the glove box would do it? The cigarette tray area just seems to be too small to be of any help. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
remove bezel

When I did mine I removed the glove box and the ash tray. After that the phillips screws were not hard to get to. Give it a try

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Set the top screws in place before you put the bezel in place. Then put the tension on the unit with the lower screws. You might have to try te first step a few times, but you will get a feel for it – the bezel/unit goes in top first and the screws hook around the edge of the opening and then take tension as the lower part finds it's position. Then simply do up the bottom. No need to remove glove box.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've removed mine without removing anything else although removing the glove box might make it easier.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking for advice on how to access the two, what I term "jack screws" that are on the top backside of the bezel and are there to pull the top part of the bezel up against the dash. I was able to remove the old bezel because the prior owner apparently had removed it when painting the car and although the jack screws were in place, they were not screwed down against the inside surface of the dash. But now that I am wanting to reassemble with a new bezel, it is not readily apparent to me how someone is able to get their hand up in there to access the screws. Trying to reach in and up from above doesn't seem to do it. Was wondering if removing the glove box would do it? The cigarette tray area just seems to be too small to be of any help. Any info would be appreciated.

I just thought of another approach, maybe it would be easier to take out the instrument panel and get at the screws that way????????

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
I just thought of another approach, maybe it would be easier to take out the instrument panel and get at the screws that way????????
That's making more work for yourself.

The top screws do not need to be tightened by screwing them from inside. They only need to be done up (or set) by hand to a point BEFORE being put in the dash. And then when you bring the bottom edge of the bezel into place to fasten it brings the tension to the top screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts