Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of fixing my vent and heater cables. Took the glove box out but the heater control cable looks really tough to change.

Firstly, the heater cable seems to go up in between the firewall and what I think is the heater box (see what my finger is pointing to in the picture). Is this correct? It must be else it wouldn't reach or be in line with the heater valve lever.

It also seems nearly impossible to get to the working end of the heater cable where it engages the valve lever up near the cowl. There must be a cable clamp there to hold the cable wrap but I have a hard time seeing how I am going to get up there at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The cable you are seeing and referring to (I think) is the one that goes inside the heater box and controls the temperature (water flow valve) in the heater box at the heater core. You cannot replace it without removing the box from the firewall and splitting the box open by removing half a dozen or so screws.

I just realized you are working on a 57. I am not sure if it is the same as a 55/56.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The easiest way to change that cable is to remove the 4 screws that hold the control valve in on the firewall side you should be able to pull it out enough to undo the cable

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see it won't be fun. I managed to get the valve lever moving by hitting it with penetrating lube. I am wondering if I can get some lube down the cable and maybe leave that one alone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heater cables

Hi, I recently acquired a 55 Chev 2dr ht. All the heater cables are gone. Does anyone have access to a cable routing for the three cables which should be there? Much appreciate any help.Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi, I recently acquired a 55 Chev 2dr ht. All the heater cables are gone. Does anyone have access to a cable routing for the three cables which should be there? Much appreciate any help.Thanks
http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/101-5.gif

not sure if you have the deluxe heater or the recirculating heater

http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/101-6.gif

you can go to the trifive library on the home page and look up the 55 assembly manual for more info

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
57 Deluxe heaters are different from the other two years and non-deluxe heaters. The cable you are pointing to should go behind the heater and defroster ducts to the heater control valve mounted under the hood on the firewall where the heater hoses are attached.

As Winch57 said, you can remove the heater control valve by removing the 4 screws holding it to the firewall, then easing it and that cable out just enough to get access to the cable clamp and the end eye.

This cable and the defroster control are the easiest ones to get to and replace. The two to the fresh air ducts out under the fenders are the tough ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts