Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Several posts have been made in regards to the issue of traction bars, traction control, wheel hop etc. I've commented a few times on this subject as well. When I first built my car, I installed Lakewood slapper bars. I would say they worked but they hung low by their very design. I still see Trifive's often using these type of bars. Then I went with SSM (South Side Machine) bars. They worked well at controlling spring wrap, but at the cost of ride quality. Frankly the ride was "harsh" at best. Their design was also very crude. SSM is no longer around (out of business?) but Jegs sells the EXACT same bar. Then I went with the typical McGaughy's type bar that is sold by all the Trifive vendors. TWICE, I tried these bars (I'm a slow learner :eek:). Both times with the same very dissapointing results. Wheel hop was terrible. In fact a few weeks ago, I attended a car show that was at a drag strip. "Show" cars were encouraged to make a pass or two (1/8 mile.. flag man). I got "called out" by a good friend. We get to the line, I dry hopped it a few times and when the moment of truth came on the line it wheel hopped so bad I about tore the rear out of it. In fact, I broke a brake line at the backing plate due to the wheel hop. (I did win the race however!)

All of this leads me to tell about CalTracs. I emailed and called Calvert Racing and told them about my car, and explained to them what was going on. They were very friendly folks. After their advice, I stepped up and bought some CalTracs ("for lowered" cars.. shorter front bracket). The installation was straight forward. Provided with the hardware package was a solid aluminum front bushing system, so the springs need to be removed and the rubber bushing will need to be pressed out.. and the new aluminum bushing is pressed in. The trick part of this bushing is the inner (aluminum) bushing that is fitted through the bracket and then inside the pressed bushing. This inner bushing is what the bracket actually rides on. Hard to explain.. but it's very trick. So.. how do they work? PERFECT. Being completely adjustable, I have them set with about 1/4" of free play so the springs can be.. well.. springs. But when put to the stress test, these bars put the pressure on the top of the springs acting just like a 4-link. No wheel hop. No harsh ride. Very nice, USA made product. I'm now a CalTracs advocate.:tu

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
mike

WHEEL HOP IS A BIG NO NO , isnt it, it breaks stuff :eek:
I totally agree with u, I need to change to cal tracs too
I hav McGaughy's type on mine and :eek: WHEEL HOP BAD :tu
Especially with new 496 in her now, \
Its on winters list for 55, install new caltracs :party0031:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Cool Mike :congrats:
but now that they work you might have to replace your rear tires a little more often

·
Registered
421 Posts
thanks for the post Mike,have McGaughy style on my car as well and was leaning towards the cal trac for lowered cars,makes my decision easy now.:tu

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yep, the only tricky part with installing the Cal-tracs, is getting that solid/2piece bushing centered in the spring eye. I stood there with my machinist and helped get that pressed in perfectly, checking the side plates as we went, ect. Everything else with the kit is self explanatory.

If I would have had a 20 ton press, I would have installed the bushings myself. (another reason to get one,:rolleyes:)

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,545 Posts
I have caltracs on my 68 camaro and they work . I am friends with john and now a dealer . My camaro has a 468 bbc in it and has gone 1.41 60ft times and run 10.62 @ 126mph not bad for a 3400 lb car/ driver:party0031:

·
Registered
684 Posts
thanks for the update mike. it's on my short list but i need to get a new radiator and SS grille in this winter before the cal-tracs.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you use them with a spring pocket kit??? One more ? does my pic show up under my member name it is the 2 lane car???
No picture under your name. I think they've developed a kit for spring pocket cars. They asked me if I had spring pockets or not when I ordered them....

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
On my 2nd ..

set.
First is on the Hemi Belvedere..Work great! [530" HEMI and a Tremec 5 speed]
This set is going on the 55.
I ordered the low profile set, as I'll be on the street 99+%.
I also ordered the pocket design, as they will work both ways...
I was the guy that produced the proto "pocket" version when I did the Hemi car.
2003. I modded the set, and sent them the pics as to how it was done..In production, now.
Calvert is one of the very few vendors I rate as A+!!:party0031:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where can I buy Cal-Tracs?
I'm going to order some parts from Ecklers, Summit and Danchuk.
I can't see that they have them, may'be they not dealers.
Should I buy them from Calvert?
All my parts first ships to new Yersey then from NJ to Sweden.
I'm from Sweden and the less companies I'll have to buy from the better...

I have a brand new pair of Lakewoods trac.bars but the more I read the more I whant those Cal tracs.

·
Registered
903 Posts
CAL TRACS THATS THE ONLY WAY TO GO, JUST LOOK AT WHAT HIS CARS DO AT THE RACE TRACK PLANT THE TIRE AND GO NOT TO MENTION THE WHEELS UP IN THE AIR LOL HE KNOWS WHAT HES DOING THATS WHATS GOING ON MINE SAID IT BEFORE,WAY TO GO MIKE

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info Mike:tu

I just went to Calvert's web-site, now I want a set!
You getting a comission?:D

I only found two part numbers, yours was for lowered cars, what is the part number you used?
My springs are in the stock location, but car is lowered.

Thanks
Don't remember the part #, but if you just specify "for lowered cars" they will send you the shorter brackets. You will not be sorry for buying Caltracs. I bought mine directly from Calvert Racing. BTW, no kick back of money to me ... hummm might not be a bad idea however.. !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts