Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
modifying a part that you bought for your trifive only to find out you should have left well enough alone? The small pipe on my fuel tank had a huge crack. So I removed it and decided to improve it. I angled the pipe up a bit and braised it. As I've been having leaks because I could not get the filler tube to seat in the gas tank, I decided to add a hose sleeve from the lower portion of the filler tibe to that would cover completely the fuel tank pipe and fillér tube. Use clamps to secure both ends. But when I attempted to place the filler tube in the fuel tank pipe, the angle that I made to that fuel tank pipe did not line up with the filler tube. So going to put the tube back to its original state and then use the rubber sleeve. Note. Before modification I tried my best to seat that filler pipe with no success. I even shaved down that lower raised portion of the filler pipe but still would not seat. Been having issues with a fuel tank leak due not seating from day one. Yes I lubed the hell out of it. Also new rubber o-ring.

·
Registered
66,186 Posts
have learned the hard way, if it isn't broke I don't touch it.

Reactions: mickym521

·
Registered
118 Posts
Said the same many times more than I care to mention..."should have left it alone"

·
Administrator
64,002 Posts
Some thing is a miss, did you have the right seal (o ring), has it been pinched when installed, were the two connecting pieces the correct parts. I found that I have to do things multiple times before I get then right.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some thing is a miss, did you have the right seal (o ring), has it been pinched when installed, were the two connecting pieces the correct parts. I found that I have to do things multiple times before I get then right.
Had two new o rings. Tried both of them. Still could not get the filler tube in. I mean back in 54/55 when they designed this set up, I think the guy was inebriated. What cause the leaking in the first place was the fuel tank pipe hitting the frame. It, yje frame,cracked the fuel tank pipe. That's why I thought if i moved the fuel tank pipe up, it wouldn't hit the frame. Worked great except for the filler tube not mating with the fuel tank pipe. I tried just using a rubber fuel hose attached to the gas tank filler pipe. That didn't work because once I bent the rubber hose it collapsed. Took the tank out today. Getting to be a pro in removing fuel tanks. I'll fix it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,274 Posts
DID YOU INSTALL A NEW FUEL TANK? i FOUND THAT AFTER I INSTALLED A NEW FUEL TANK I HAD A LEAK, GOT A NEW FILLER PIPE AND EVERYTHING IS GOOD. i BELIEVE THE OPENONG IN THE REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS MAY BE SLIGHTLY LARGER. I ALSO KNOW OF FOLKS WHO USED A FATTER O RING WHEN THEY REPLACED THE TANK.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DID YOU INSTALL A NEW FUEL TANK? i FOUND THAT AFTER I INSTALLED A NEW FUEL TANK I HAD A LEAK, GOT A NEW FILLER PIPE AND EVERYTHING IS GOOD. i BELIEVE THE OPENONG IN THE REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS MAY BE SLIGHTLY LARGER. I ALSO KNOW OF FOLKS WHO USED A FATTER O RING WHEN THEY REPLACED THE TANK.
New tank, 1955 fuel pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts