Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I know it's a different question to ask, but if you have a lot of leaves that fall, how do you keep them out of your gutter?? I live in the northeast and have a lot of maple and oak trees that surround my house. They sure are nice during the summer for shade, but in the fall when the leaves drop, what a pain. The ones on the ground I mulch with a mower; not a problem. But the gutters on the house and garage get really packed with them. I have to use an extension ladder to reach the gutters and I'm not crazy about height to begin with. I see different things advertised to prevent leaves from entering the gutter, but I'm not sure how effective they might work. I have to keep in mind that we also get some heavy snow falls and the weight might collapse a cheaper product. So, I'm wondering what others might use and what their experience has been. You members in southern California and Florida don't have to respond. I understand :sign0020:. Thanx in advance, Carmine.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
I bought a load of those plastic covers that slide under the shingles and clip on the lip of the gutter. They let water in pretty well and keep the leaves and spike balls (from the my Liquid Ambers) out. The down side is that there is a fair amount of dirt and debris from the asphalt shingles that get into the gutter with the water and fill them up. About every other year I have to remove the covers and clean it all out.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Gutter Helmet

Water goes in the gutter , the leaves fall / roll off the top to the ground.
I am not associated with the company in aany way, Mike.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
We have similar set ups here "leaf busters" it would go under the roof tiles & clip onto the gutter, will only allow water to go through.

You guys should have a similar set up.

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
don't have any trees around my house for just that reason. :cool0010:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
We have the gutter guards up here too...mine are made of slotted aluminum and are a similar setup....same thing, lets water in...that's it. Greatest invention ever....worth every penny!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
We use the slotted aluminum eavestrough screens , and have a steel tile roof , so the leaves (and the snow) just slide over top . The big trees sure are great air conditioners all summer . Love that term "gutters" . LOL . Be safe...Bob

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
My wife cleans ours once a year. :sign0020: :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I know how not to clean them.

Several years ago at the hardware store I saw a long attachment tube that goes on your leaf blower. You just walk along the ground with your leaf blower and the curved elevated pipe blowing out the gutters as you go. I bought one.

When I used it it blew all the leafs and gutter crap all over me from above. I got stubborn and finished anyway.

When I got finished I looked like the swamp monster. I never used it again.

:sign0020: Blake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts