Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Direct TV, but in order to get HiDef reception, they must replace my dish with a different one mounted higher. To do this, it must be moved to my roof. I don't want that. Also there is an additional monthly charge. I live near Charlotte so there is plenty of over the air digital signal available. My question is, can I mount an antenna in my attic and combine the signal into the cable with the signal coming from the dish, so I only have one cable coming to the TV? The cable is in the wall and it would be much easier if I can do this. I know some of you guys are probably familiar with this. Any comments?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Hey neighbor, wish I could help. I just do time warner.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have Direct TV, but in order to get HiDef reception, they must replace my dish with a different one mounted higher. To do this, it must be moved to my roof. I don't want that. Also there is an additional monthly charge. I live near Charlotte so there is plenty of over the air digital signal available. My question is, can I mount an antenna in my attic and combine the signal into the cable with the signal coming from the dish, so I only have one cable coming to the TV? The cable is in the wall and it would be much easier if I can do this. I know some of you guys are probably familiar with this. Any comments?
My regular antenna is in the attic (occasionally used) and I just upgraded from old Direct TV to HD Direct TV. It is amazing.
There are two separate wires coming into the back of the receiver.
I helped the Installer put the new dish in and I don't think it is possible to combine the two signals into one wire.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I bought a combiner box from my local Radio Shack to do just what you want to do. They had either a channel 3 or channel 4 box available and I get my UHF digital reception as usual and the DirecTV signal comes in on channel 3. It all comes through one RG6 coax cable. I did this to get the dish signal in my kitchen instead of having to add another receiver box. You should be able to accomplish the same thing if you have multiple inputs on your TV set and avoid the combiner box. Just use RCA cables for the dish and the coax for the antenna. The antenna should work in your attic as long as you don't have a steel roof on your home. Good luck!

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,539 Posts
Move the Direct TV antenna to the roof and get that great signal they have. I switched over to the HD one a year ago and its a great picture and they have special shows only they have. Love watching the Mecham Auto Auctions on the weekends on the HD channel (281). See I'm keeping this thread about our hobby:D Plus you can't beat their service, 24/7 for any issues:)

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts