Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

disc brake conversion

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BatterdBull 
#1 ·
Looking to convert from front drum to disc brakes.I`ve seen several offering complete kits available,can anyone recommend who has the best or most complete with few headaches.THANKS.

#2 ·
I'm looking too. Looks like you can just a basic bracket kit and buy your own parts to save money or buy a complete kit and pay more but get it all in one place. Several companies are sponsors of this site and there are several more in the vendors section. I have heard than MPP is pretty good (Master Power Brakes). I bought the power brake booster/master cylinder kit for my 59 Suburban. It went in very easy.

#5 ·
Disk Brake "Snag."

The Chevy Classsics mag (June-03) published an article showing the installation of Heidt's tubluar a-arms and a disk brake kit from The Brake Source. In the article they noted that the stock snubber mount that is factory rivited to the frame must be removed. If not, the spindle will hit it.

Please be aware that this article was published in 03 and might not apply now. It also might not apply to other disk brake kits. I submit this only in an effort to contribute as well as have this post checked by those that really know.

One thing I have learned is to check every angle and ask as many people as possible before you proceed. I suspect there are snags everywhere you must guard against.

Don Copeland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.