Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys. My Christmas present to myself this year is going to be a disc brake conversion for my '57. I have read several posts from you guys that are saying you got a power disc brake conversion from Toms Classic for around $400 including pre-bent lines. Was that in the good old days? Because all I can find is a manual conversion for $329.

Also, this manual conversion says that it requires "disc brake wheels." Is there any way of telling if my wheels will accept calipers? I have 14" American Racing OutlawI. They can be seen here: http://www.americanracing.com/browse_ar.asp (it's the second from the top left).

I would like to know in advance if my wheels will work. If they won't I'll have to buy some 15" wheels and tires to go up front.

68,758 Posts
hi bryan. got mine about 18 months ago at that price, had everything including power booster. i think you will have to get 15" wheels for fit. :)

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Your wheels should clear the calipers just fine. Chevy originally invented the Rally wheels for use with disc brakes. (14" rims to clear the 11" rotor/caliper on most cars, and 15" rims for Corvettes with a 12" rotor). The disc brake compatible rims have a different profile on the backside which lets them clear the caliper. Aftermarket wheels have this same profile these days.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just finished my upgrade to dropped spindles and disc brakes/power unit. I used Heidts spindles and there disc brake set up, new brake lines all around from Danchuck. I was also able to retain my original 14" old style cragar wheels!
TV
Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Suspension Disc brake

Auto part Disc brake Engine Vehicle brake Brake

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

·
Registered
895 Posts
Your wheels should clear the calipers just fine. Chevy originally invented the Rally wheels for use with disc brakes. (14" rims to clear the 11" rotor/caliper on most cars, and 15" rims for Corvettes with a 12" rotor). The disc brake compatible rims have a different profile on the backside which lets them clear the caliper. Aftermarket wheels have this same profile these days.
I have 14" Cragar SS wheels on my '57, and I was told that they would not work with the Tom's Classic kit/11" rotors. Does anyone know if that is true? I was in the process of buying that kit until I was told my wheels would not work. Bill

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have 14" Cragar SS wheels on my '57, and I was told that they would not work with the Tom's Classic kit/11" rotors. Does anyone know if that is true? I was in the process of buying that kit until I was told my wheels would not work. Bill
My 14" Cragar SS wheels just fit by a hair with the Heidts rotors which I believe are 10.5". I think you"ll have troubles fitting the Cragars with an 11" rotor.
TV
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
if the conversion uses early Camaro/ Chevekke roters its like Rick said, no different than putting Cragers on a 70 Chevelle SS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts