Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you convert front disc brakes if you have 14" rims? The power brake rebuilder says I have to change wheel size and tires on my 57 Convertible if I want disc brakes.
Opinions appreciated.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
You do have a couple of options, stock brakes are fine depending on how much use you you want to get out of the car.

Back to discs, I believe there are vendors out there Danchuk comes to mind that sell standard front rims that will accept discs which will allow you to leave the full disc wheel cap & spinner.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used CPP's front disk brake kit and Eklers rims to keep the 14" front setup on my 57 so I could keep the full size hubcaps. No problem with clearances. Regards, Doug

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I used a kit from the Right Stuff to use 14 inch wheels.
I also have a set of five of the Danchuk wheels that I am not using because they are so heavy compared to the 60's chrome reverse I found.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The most commonly used roter on a stock spindle disk brake conversion uses a roter that came off cars that used 14 inch wheels. The 68-74 Nova, 68-72 Chevelle and 69 Camaro all rode on 14 inch rubber with the exception of special models for example Z28. THe only issue will be the use of the 14x5 wheel not designed for disk. The aforementioned cars all came with 14x6 disk brake wheels.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yes and no

Yes there is a small amount of kits that will work with a stock 14" rim, but it will mount in the front and have smaller pads. I still have not confirmed if it will or won't hit the stock sway bar.

No most wont fit, but you can buy new 14" rims that have the clearance for the large rear pads. You can also get an old rim and weld the nubs on it for the wheel cover.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
my brake kit allowed the caliper to be mounted front or aft.
The 69-72 kits move the wheels out some nearly 7/8's.
MY kit kept the wheels in the stock position.
Yes, they're smaller calipers but I don't plan on rallying my 57 convert.

·
Registered
186 Posts
brakes

tom's on e bay, fit perfect on my 57, just switch right caliper to left side and left side to right side, the lines will fit great to. you have to grind a little bit off the bottom of caliper so it doe's not hit control arm, easy job and they work great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.