Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to figure out my brakes... That said I have some sort of aftermarket factory spindle disc brake kit. The question is....

1. Is this a zero offset setup?.. I assume it is it looks like the bearings are in the same place as the factory.

2.Some people will see that the caliper is mounted on the back side... I have done this on purpose. As far as I can see the only problem with this is the lower caliper bolt hitting the steering arm am I correct? I plan on pulling the steering arm if I need to do brakes. I don't like the look of the caliper in front...

3. This is an 11 inch rotor with 7/16 lugs. Does any one know what parts from what car I should be looking for (bearings,rotors, calipers)?

I know this brake set up might be a little primative, but it is all I need and it is cheap..... If I can find the right parts.

Thank you for your time!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
As far as I know you have it right. The front brakes have the caliper on the rear.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The roter shown may have come off a Chevelle/ Monte because it will fit just fine. However, I believe that to be a 2 piece roter off a first gen Camaro. It is only mandatory if you have an early Camaro with 4 piston disk brakes similar to Vette. I doubt you will find anyone at Slow Reilys that has seen one of those, I di not think they are available. If I had them I would use them, I believe 70 chevelle bearings & seals are the same as 67 Camaro.

Some of the first 55-57 conversions had the calipers in front. None I have seen lately are like that, however they exist.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get it... Basically the measurement from rear bearing ( spindle surface) to the wheel surface is where i am getting the extra track width.... this zero offset kit looks nice does the caliper mount in the back of the spindle? I guess your all wondering why i don't just go with lowering spindles,its basically because I don't want to lower the car. I want the junior stock look with somewhat more modern underpinnings... Is this the best zero offset set up out there for my money?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think it is but other guys don't. The caliper bracket does not move the steering arm and is to the back. I just looked at your car neat looking i have put patch panels but have to do a whole trunk like you did how did you get the rest of the old trunk away from the body? spot weld cutter , air chisel?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do other guys like? I just drilled through the spots. I use the holes to reweld the trunk in...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the last question I have is.... If you run a zero offset rotor,doesn't that move the outer side of your caliper closer to the wheel.... Does this pose a problem in any way??

·
Registered
38,586 Posts
The oppposite - zero offset avoids problems. Wheels still clear. It's possible to order a billet wheel that won't. The billet wheel guys will help you there if there's any doubts. And that could happen zero offset or not.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll mainly be running skinny front runners,and it just looked like the shorter rotor brought the wheel closer to the caliper if it was your money would you buy the zero offset set up. To sum me up I want a more vintage looking brake set up I don't want to lower the car,and I like the look of my tires more inboard. Is this the set for me ( the ebay set earlier linked)

·
Registered
38,586 Posts
You won't have a problem with a narrow wheel hitting the caliper.

The Ebay kit linked would seem to work based on what others have posted. No personal experience.

I am with you, even if having the wheel outboard clears it doesn't look right.

So your thoughts are good.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The oppposite - zero offset avoids problems.
I have 5 sets of 15x4 and 15x5 wheels in front of me and 2 sets work. As I suspected the zero offset set up does have interference. The 2 sets of wheels I have that fits only clear by a 1/16th!!:eek: Just thought i would shed a little light on this. I'm gonna make things work,but forget about a 14" wheel!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.