Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered today that the vacuum advance diaphragm on my Mallory Unilite distributor has failed and I cant seem to find a replacement since the whole Mallory debacle a few years back. From what I've read, a standard GM advance canister will not work. Does anyone have any idea where to find one, or ???....other than swapping out the entire distributor?
Light Product Font Line Screenshot

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,216 Posts
Not sure if they have been discontinued or not...However, it looks as though they have been sold out at least....You might call Holley to find out what the deal is: Mallory

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I discovered today that the vacuum advance diaphragm on my Mallory Unilite distributor has failed and I cant seem to find a replacement since the whole Mallory debacle a few years back. From what I've read, a standard GM advance canister will not work. Does anyone have any idea where to find one, or ???....other than swapping out the entire distributor?
View attachment 358421
I’d say get in touch with Holley they’re reviving all the old Mallory dizzy setups maybe they can help ya out with direction or interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if they have been discontinued or not...However, it looks as though they have been sold out at least....You might call Holley to find out what the deal is: Mallory
They are definitely discontinued, I did however reach out to Holly Tech via e-mail. I'm not holding my breath though.

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a buddy who bought out a old mallory dealer and has a bunch of parts, do you still need one.
(EDIT)
I was able to obtain one from Bob Wyman 559-687-0288 who runs System1 Pro Ignition here in California.
I found his name on a Mustang forum while Googling the Mallory replacements. A guy posted that a year ago, Bob sold him one for $45.00, I just paid $55.00 shipped. Should have it in 2-3 days if he gets it out today.

We got to talking about Holley, and he confirmed my suspicions that they have no plans on manufacturing Mallory replacement parts, as they want you to buy their MSD products. Hopefully this will last for a while, if it doesn't, although in protest I'll just replace the distributor.

I'll update when I receive the part. Hopefully this post will help someone else when all is said and done.

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks awfully close to Mopar vacuum advance cans. Could probably modify the link arm to work on the Mallory. If you get chance take a look and compare.
View attachment 358569
The actuator arm is bent and a different length. I was thinking of those as a last resort, but I dont want to have to modify.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
124 Posts
The actuator arm is bent and a different length. I was thinking of those as a last resort, but I dont want to have to modify.
I know, just thought, if you're in a bind, those would be something I'd try. Also, available and priced around $25. Glad you were able to find the correct one. Should last for a long time.

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know, just thought, if you're in a bind, those would be something I'd try. Also, available and priced around $25. Glad you were able to find the correct one. Should last for a long time.
We'll see, I don't have it in my hand yet haha. Fingers crossed. Thanks again, appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1955/210/Delray
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well....that was fun (sarcasm) I was actually able to do this with the distributor still installed.

I'm shocked that I was able to remove the two tiny screws/star washers that held the canister in place on the side of the distributor without dropping anything. Not to mention, I was able to remove the micro c-clip without dropping it. However, the biggest mystery is the fact that I was able to put it all back together without dropping anything. I NEVER work on anything without at least dropping a tool, or a screw. Hahaha, I'm still in disbelief.

For those who have never seen what I'm referring to, take a look. After I reinstalled the V/A, next going to reinstall the micro c-clip.
Green Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Serveware

Bam! Took two tries.
Gas Metal Machine Wood Plastic

All shiny and nestled in. I still need to test drive, but the winds here in the Inland Empire/So-Cal are gusting @ 60-70mph. I'm not going anywhere till it subsides.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Car Measuring instrument

1 - 20 of 37 Posts