Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
1955/210/Delray
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's great 馃憤. Now if we can only find a good, new cap that fits that distributor.
Todd
Here's what's strange with regard to that.
I bought that cap a couple years ago (a Holly re-pop) and it was very sloppy loose on my Unilite distributor that was on my blown '41 Chevy pickup that I sold last year. So I cleaned up the old cap and put it back on, fit great really snug. I wanted to change it because it was faded to almost pink on the outside, inside was fine.
Fast forward, I then get this '55 which has the same exact Unilite distributor and when I swapped out the plugs looms and wires recently, I figured I'd give it a try. It fits great! So glad I didn't get rid of it or send it back.
Why it fit this one and not the other, haven't a clue?

Registered
1956 Nomad
Tolerance stacking, I guess, was in your favor.
Oh, and good job on not dropping a thing during the exchange. I usually do it on the bench, then the little bugger will drop and bounce on to the garage floor; somewhere.

Registered
I agree with SLIM. Nowadays, can never be too careful with regard to clicking on just any email address! Guess, it is best to wait and see if he is legit and becomes more transparent via profile, etc.

Registered
While we're waiting for Mb...3's transparency, I have a question to ask all of you with Unilites. Is an old/used Unilite distributor worth buying and taking a gamble on?

I want to find a slimmer distributor (smaller diameter cap-wise) on my 350 running dual WCFBs. I need clearance between the vacuum advance line fitting on the carb base and the bottom edge of the distributor cap. in order to drop-in the distributor, I had to grind away some of the plastic on the old school distributor cap. I realize this is not a good solution and may lead to other issues. Unfortunately, with it now installed and the motor running, this situation does not allow rotating the distributor to adjust timing.

Does the limited access/availability of Mallory Unilite parts say...find another solution? Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Registered
Wow, mr55/56, your using a Pertronix module in one of your Unitlite bodies is a great idea. I will definitely look into taking that route since the ignition system I installed is a Pertronix XR-700 with CD box. If this works, then I won't need to do major rewiring/routing of the electronics.

Are you saying your buddy may have Mallory parts? Thanks.

Registered
Wow, mr55/56, your using a Pertronix module in one of your Unitlite bodies is a great idea. I will definitely look into taking that route since the ignition system I installed is a Pertronix XR-700 with CD box. If this works, then I won't need to do major rewiring/routing of the electronics.

Are you saying your buddy may have Mallory parts? Thanks.
Petronix sells a conversion for both Mallory points and Unilite distributors, I bought mine from Summit for about $100.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts