Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aluminum heads and radiator. Changing my water / antifreeze for the winter. What is the thought on water? Some say distilled some say tap and others say spring.
thanks,
Jeffrey

·
Registered
187 Posts
definitly distilled. Has no minerials to react with anything. Most aluminum radiator manufactures recommend it.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Anode ?

Do any of you run a sacrficial anode in your cooling system? If you do what is your experience with it. Does it work? :bowtier:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Do any of you run a sacrficial anode in your cooling system? If you do what is your experience with it. Does it work? :bowtier:
"Sacrificial anode":questionmark: Just another new word/term for my old head:confused0024:Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a stock aluminum 2x4 manifold on stock iron heads and very dirty block water passages (flushed many times but engine never out of the car). Would distilled water help at all in this situation?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've used an anode in the wifes Mustang, the Vicky and both Cobras aluminum radiators, all had aluminum heads also.. They do help in not allowing contaminates from dissimilar metals from eating away at the aluminum. I found that the Cobras anodes were usually more than half eaten away compared to the other cars...the Mustang and Vicky did sit more often than the Cobras though, that may have been the difference? I would check the anodes once a year and replace them. Some radiator manufacturers recommend the use of an anode in their radiators. There are both pros/cons of using an anode in a car if it sits for a long period of time, I don't see how it would hurt though. I think the anode I used was a magnesium/zinc alloy but can't remember for sure.

"sacrificial anode" is just a term for a lesser metal on the galvanic scale-- with two disimilar metals suspended in water the lesser metal will be eaten away over time ie steel engine vs aluminum heads/radiator the aluminum will get eaten away, add heat to the mix and the corrosion process is faster.

Distilled water, water wetter, and anti-freeze is what I use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts