Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cars has a petronex mod but still has the origenal coil. I am wanting to get rid of the ballest resister. But can I do thes without changing to a different coil. I know how to wire it but I do not know if I should. Thanks for any input Sharkey 5557.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think the pertronix will burn out the original coil without the resistor. The only way I know of is to replace the coil with the correct pertronix coil that needs no resistor.They only cost about 40 bucks and will deliver alot more voltage than stock. Make sure you get the right one for your system. I think the original ignitor was a 1.5 ohm primary resistance but they also have one with less. Not matching them up will only cause more problems and probably burn the unit out

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich!! Thanks for the reply. I expected thats probably what i needed to do. Illl do the matcheng coil and be done with it. More spark will be good anyway. Thanks again, Sharkey 5557.

·
Registered
641 Posts
good deal but, when I gapped my plugs at 50 the car didn't perform any where near as well. After calling Pertronix and asking them, they told me to regap them at 35 and that the system would work much better, they weren't lying. The car ran like it had a new engine in it. Much better performance and gas mileage too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed the Skip White HEI dizzy and replaced the coil with a Flame Thrower 1 1.5 Ohm unit. Got rid of the ballast resister and opened the plug gap to .050 also like sharkey. Runs great Jim
jim, not trying to hijack this thread
thats what i am thinking about doing..when i called swhite they recommended a blaster 2 coil part no. 8202. when i check the coil it is a point 7 ohms not the 1.5...i was told to leave the coil and ignition wires on the ballast but to run the hot-wire(jump it offer )to the opposite side where the coil and ignition are, then from distributor red to + and black to - of coil.
does this sound right, what about the coil? i am confused as the ohm rating is different. did you have to adjust the vacuum advance springs or do anything different to get it to run right?
thanks. aero

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Sorry I'm getting back to you so late. Just found this. I did not have to adjust the mechanical advance springs as they must have a good curve from the manufacturer. The engine is timed stock at 4 degrees BTDC. I opened up my plugs to .050. I have the vacuum advance hooked in as well. No problems. I like the flamethrower coil as it installs in the stock position and looks stock. I don't get the point of jumping the ballast resister. I would just remove it. Hope this helps Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.