Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the distributor and noted its rotor location. inserted a Pertronix distributor, new plugs and wires. When I tried to fire it up I got a backfire so I must have missed something when I pulled the old distributor. Pulled #1 plug, felt for compression coming up, then looked at the damper pulley for TDC, but no markings at all. Rotated the engine by hand and don't see any groove to show TDC anywhere and I don't see any degree marks on damper, though there is some rust on it that could possibly hade those.

Is it possible to pull the damper with everything in the car, then replace it w/a new damper that has a TDC mark? This is a 350/290 crate engine installed in the late 2000's.

Or if there are other suggestions I would really appreciate them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You can approach #1 TDC clockwise and counterclockwise and mark the damper at the 0 degree line on the timing cover tab when the piston stops rising in each direction?
The center point between the two marks should be very close to TDC.
To make this easier, use a screw-in piston stop:

·
Registered
19 Posts
The answer to your question is Yes. After removing your current damper, determine TDC, align the crankshaft key with the new damper, and secure in place. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK got my old harmonic damper off, there are NO markings for TDC (or any other degrees either for that matter)! So I am looking at the Summit brand dampener CHEVROLET Summit Racing SUM-161350 Summit Racing™ OE-Style Harmonic Dampers | Summit Racing as the replacement. It has more markings than I need but will let me know what my timing is. This brings up another question: as you can see in the photo below, the datum mark on the front cover is off to the side a bit (not oriented vertically). Will the damper pulley markings be adjusted for this?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yes. That marker is the same as mine, and I have no problems. The damper you selected should work fine. It says that it is designed to be used with bolt on timing tabs.

Steve

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
The answer to your question is Yes. After removing your current damper, determine TDC, align the crankshaft key with the new damper, and secure in place. Easy peasy!
Trying to learn something here. Are you saying that the crankshaft key, if opposite the "0" on the timing tab, means that #1 is up on compression?? Thanks, Carmine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts