Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined the forum and I'm sure this has come up a lot before but I just purchased a MSD 8360 for my 55 and it hits my firewall. I've got a 350 and from everything I've read it should fit, I don't know why mine doesn't. Besides bashing in the firewall with a sledgehammer what would be the best (and easiest) way to gain some clearance?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,350 Posts
Besides going to 3/4" forward side motor mounts, a couple things come to mind....Are your rear belhousng mounts in good shape? saging rear mounts could cause the problem.....Put an angle finder fore an aft on a valve cover and see how many degrees down the engine is....Should be no more that 4*.

Another possibility is that the body is sitting all the way forward on the frame....To rectify this, you can loosen the body bolts and slide the body back.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Hi, I just joined the forum and I'm sure this has come up a lot before but I just purchased a MSD 8360 for my 55 and it hits my firewall. I've got a 350 and from everything I've read it should fit, I don't know why mine doesn't. Besides bashing in the firewall with a sledgehammer what would be the best (and easiest) way to gain some clearance?
:confused0006: Besides going to 3/4" forward side motor mounts, a couple things come to mind....Are your rear belhousng mounts in good shape? saging rear mounts could cause the problem.....Put an angle finder fore an aft on a valve cover and see how many degrees down the engine is....Should be no more that 4*.

Another possibility is that the body is sitting all the way forward on the frame....To rectify this, you can loosen the body bolts and slide the body back.

good ideas here, other wise dizzy should work , like mentioned, start checking it out and keep us posted

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I had a 78 350 sbc in mine and the electronic distributor fit with room behine it, but change over to a 98 350 vortec and the distributor wont fit I had to install 3/4" forward side motor mounts, still dont know the differents in the motors. As your problem you can run a small distributor or install 3/4" side mounts. Later Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Distributor Clearance

Thanks for the quick response guys, but I solved the problem. I used a air hammer to massage the firewall and lo and behold body filler fell out. It seems someone had already recessed the firewall but then covered it back up. I popped the MSD in and it fit. Now I just have to clean things up and repaint that area. I know when my neighbor was still alive he had a few different engines in and out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Those plastic body hammers are amazing. I had the same problem with my 55 and massaged the firewall after I was assured that it would work. Take your time and work the firewall alittle at a time with one of those hammers and you'll be very surprised. Don't pound on it but just work it slowly and it will work for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts